The Outcome of the US Election: Where to Go from Here

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Growing up just outside of America, the US always seemed to be a land of opportunity and dreams and movie stars. In class, we studied American history: wars and movements and independence. Fighting internal and external battles that classified the nation as heroic. I dreamt of moving to New York or Hollywood and being famous. The US held everything in its borders, it was fascinating to learn about and visit. One time whilst visiting New York, I was walking in front of the Museum of Natural History and I overheard someone say ‘ Yeah, I’ve lived in the city my entire life. Never left the Island. But I feel like I’ve seen the entire world.’ And how right was he: the cultural diversity, the sheer excitement of so many urban centres of the States are enough to suffice an archetype of the whole wide world. Even as the media and news tried to portray America as flawed and lacking in progress, I would conveniently shut my ears and focus on what I loved about it. I mean, there were so many inspiring people that lived and died there. All of my favourite writers and activists: Eleanor Roosevelt, Maya Angelou, Ernest Hemingway, so many amazing presidents. They shaped their times and wrote the world’s best stories, and served under pressured eras as the world changed into what it is today. After waking up and hearing the news of the election, it became clear that these American ideals and inspirations, and of course, the American people, have some tough and trying times ahead.  

So many thoughts and concerns are likely running through the minds of American citizens, and ultimately everyone. How could America, land of the free, ally of many, elect such an unquilified, uncoothed candidate into the Oval Office? America, who fought against the fascists and dictators during WW2 to protect their citizens and democratic ideals?

What is most terrifying to think about is that if Donald Trump is the president-elect, are the American people really all like him? Are they racist and sexist and disrespectful? So many Americans voted for him, so are they all like him? The answer is clearly no: there have been countless circumstances of terrible leaders being elected, but I never reflected the choice of leadership unto the citizens. It was as if the people had to choose between the lesser of two evils. Which they didn’t.

After the surprising, and very well terrifying, results of the November 2016 election, it saddens many to think of the outcomes it could bring. Regardless of its struggles, America is one of the largest and most influential nations on the planet. Many look to the US for inspiration whether through their cultural progress, media, or general governance. Especially in the era of globalization and global markets, the US plays a huge role. In the United Nations, the US sits on many agenda planning committees and makes a lot of decisions. They have the largest military in the world. With so much at stake, electing a man like Trump seems like the most terrible, uneducated choice that could have possibly been made. In the trying, desperate times of this year’s election, the build up was perhaps the longest and most long drawn out race in the US history.  

Several months ago, there were the Democratic and Republican nominations that were broadcasted for the world. After watching Hillary Clinton receive the nomination, endorsed and supported by their very own president, cheered on by many, I felt safe. True, some of the speeches seemed a bit forced, if not desperate; they knew what was at stake. The Democrats had to try and convince not only their supporters, but everyone, that Secretary Clinton would be the best choice for president, regardless of her past. They mentioned her many successes and triumphs, like healthcare for children and education for people with disabilities. They fought against a fear-mongering, unqualified Republican candidate, and it seemed like the results were going to be obvious.

Oftentmes in American media, coverage and reporting can have huge influence and sway. Several decades ago, there was the infamous OJ Simpson trial. Similar to this presidential race, there were two sides fighting for justice. One, was Simpson, a sports hero and American God, who had high football stats but low respect for women, and his team of California defense lawyers. The other side was headed by a woman, who was Attorney General, and had all of the right facts on her side. She was fighting for justice, and for women’s rights against domestic violence. It seemed blatantly obvious that Simpson would lose, there were countless facts that rendered him guilty. But the media got very heavily involved in the case, just like the election, and the unimaginable happened. He walked free. I believe that old saying that goes ‘All publicity is good publicity.’ Perhaps some of the citizens felt as if there was absolutely no way Trump would get the vote. I mean, how could he? But when the impossible happens, however unsettling and terrible it may be, the people must look for a solution to move forward. The results may be unbearable and unrepresentative, but they happened, and now the consequences must be faced as well.

However, as the American people have utmostly demonstrated for hundreds of years, in order for change to occur, there must be a unified movement towards a particular goal. The US has undoubtedly experienced traumatic events and unsteady leadership in the past. What makes a nation democratic and liberal is often not at all found in its governmental systems, but rather within its people. The American people, who fought for civil rights in the 1960s, who changed the marriage laws so everyone could have a chance to be with who they love. It is easy to say that America could very well be doomed, but perhaps this was a wake-up call. If the people,regardless of race, class or social standing, come back together like they have in the past, if the nation is able to get through the next four years without changing its core values and beliefs for the worse, and without the darkness overcoming what they truly believe in, then perhaps the nation can emerge stronger and better. In American literature and throughout the nations society, there is always an air of unfailing hope. The American Dream is personified in so many different ways. I think that during this election, some people were confused and torn as to what the American Dream really means. Trump attempted to convince people that he would bring back the American Dream and make the US the nation it used to be. And it somehow worked, but it doesn’t mean he was right. Economy and finances are important, and it is true that the American economy needed some reform, but it did not have to occur this way. There are unfortunately many possible outcomes that could occur under the leadership of someone like Trump. But fear will not help: it is up to the American people to demonstrate that they are not what he is, and what he claims America is. There is no saying what the next four years could hold, but here’s to hoping that the nation is able to hold strong through whatever outcomes may occur. 

Helsinki Contributor