Noora Kumpulainen: “For me, the best thing about Finnbrit is the people I meet”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Noora Kumpulainen is a third-year English major with two part-time jobs: one as an invigilator at Finnbrit (the Finnish-British Society), and the other as a substitute teacher. Noora is studying Finnish language and Comparative Literature as her minors, and will also complete the teacher’s pedagogical studies. We met with Noora in March to talk about her job and her active involvement in Finnbrit. Finnbrit is an English-language training and examination centre that also organizes many different cultural activities throughout the year. Furthermore, this year Finnbrit Helsinki celebrates its 90th anniversary (which happens to coincide with The Queen’s 90th birthday celebrations)!

Could you describe your job at Finnbrit?

I invigilate IELTS (International English Language Testing System), which is an international Cambridge examination that people do for immigration and educational purposes. The examination has listening, reading, writing and speaking parts, and invigilators at Finnbrit invigilate all of them. I do it two or three times a month, but there are also other responsibilities, for example shift allocation. I also work as a main invigilator, and a test-day supervisor. Finnbrit also co-operates for example with some universities to invigilate university exams.

You are also actively involved in Finnbrit’s social activities, could you tell us more about that?

I volunteer as a member of two different Committees: the Social Committee, and the 90th Anniversary Committee. We organize all kinds of activities, for example different theme nights. In March I organized a Jane Austen evening, and once we had a Sherlock Holmes evening. We’ve also had theme nights on some very timely topics, for example a refugee night, and a WW1 night in 2014, a hundred years from the beginning of the war. We also organize an Open House every year on the Night of the Arts, and English Today seminars.

© Finnbrit

How do you combine your job at Finnbrit with your studies and other work?

As an invigilator I mostly go to Finnbrit on Saturdays when the exams are held, so this work doesn’t coincide with my classes, and the social activities are usually in the evenings. Of course I have quite a full schedule, but it’s completely doable.

So you recently organized a Jane Austen evening, how was that?

I enjoyed it a lot! Of course it required some planning, and I needed to contact people to organize the event and to invite people, but the whole experience was very rewarding. The event had two parts: a talk given by the Docent and University Lecturer Maria Salenius, and the Regency dance part taught by the dance teacher Sonja Taulavuori. People seemed to really enjoy it, and we received really good feedback. It’s important to bring literature to people, and there are different ways of doing that, so it’s very nice to have events like this. It was also great that many people of different ages, backgrounds and nationalities took part. It’s a good way of bringing people together.

Who are Finnbrit’s activities for? What does Finnbrit have to offer for students?

The language courses are for different levels according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Some of these courses may be useful to university students who want to brush up on their English skills, and we also provide evening courses. Our teaching is individualized, and you receive instruction on a personal level. In addition, Finnbrit organizes English Today seminars together with NEaT (Nordic Editors and Translators), and I think that students who are interested in the themes of these seminars would enjoy them.

As to social events, I guess students would be interested in parties, and all kinds of events, actually. The social activities are for anyone who’s interested – everyone’s welcome. Finnbrit also collaborates with other English-speaking organizations, such as IESAF (International English Speakers’ Association of Finland). There is for example a knitting group, and one called Naked Ladies; the name might be a bit misleading, but it’s basically for swapping clothes the participants don’t want or need anymore. Finnbrit also co-operates with the Morris dance group Helsinki Morrisers.

© Finnbrit

How can one get involved in Finnbrit?

There are different ways – one is by following social media, as with everything. Finnbrit has a Facebook page for language courses, tests and social events (Finnbrit Language Centre), and another page that mainly focuses on social activities (Friends of FinnBrits), as well as LinkedIn. Also, on Finnbrit’s website you can find information on events, language courses and exams, membership, associated groups and other things [scroll down for links]. Some events are free for everyone, and some are free or cheaper for members. There are different kinds of memberships, and the annual membership fee is lower for students. You can also join the mailing list for Finnbrit’s newsletter by emailing finnbrit@finnbrit.fi, and you can find past issues of the Finn-Brits Magazine on the website of the Federation of Finnish British Societies. If you have any questions, you can also stop by at Finnbrit’s on Fredrikinkatu during office hours.

What are some upcoming social events?

The upcoming events can be found on Finnbrit’s website and on Facebook. The biggest ones that I’m involved in organizing are maybe the 90th Anniversary party on the 29th of April, and a Brontë evening in May.

How does Finnbrit Helsinki celebrate its 90th anniversary?

We celebrate it in many different ways; there is the party on Friday the 29th of April, and a double decker bus tour on the 1st of May. We organize more activities this year, and there will be some more parties in the fall, for example a gala evening.

Can you share your best memory at Finnbrit so far, either at your job or otherwise taking part in Finnbrit’s activities?

I have so many good memories, and they are good in different kinds of ways – one of them was when I got hired. I have lots of good memories, and it’s very difficult to choose from them. I enjoy the basic work, because I have such great colleagues. It’s kind of a cliché, but it’s always really nice to work with them. The Jane Austen evening was great as well, but it’s very hard to choose any particular event, because for me it’s more about the people I work with, and the people I meet.

Profile photo © Virpi Kumpulainen

Home page: https://www.finnbrit.fi

On Facebook:

Finnbrit Language Centre: https://www.facebook.com/Finnbrit-Language-Centre-371186679640791/

Friends of FinnBrits: https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-FinnBrits-153240001415676/

On LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/finnbrit

Federation Magazines: http://www.finnish-britishsocieties.com/magch.php

Helsinki Contributor