A Must-See City in Scotland: Aberdeen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Scotland is a wonderful country and Aberdeen is one of its most beautiful cities. Known for its gardens and university, the town has many sights that everyone should visit.

Even though it’s not something that first comes to mind when thinking of Scotland, Aberdeen has a lovely beach (although, it is very cold and windy at the beach) which evokes feelings of serenity and a sense of belonging to nature.Another must-see are obviously the different buildings of the University of Aberdeen. King’s College, for example, has beautiful old architecture and lovely courtyards.

A visit to UK is obviously nothing without a trip to a tea house, such as the Cup in the centre of Aberdeen. They have a wide variety of teas to choose from and an affordable selection of teatime menus that include an assortment of cakes and sandwiches.The modern looking box that stands out among the picturesque buildings in Aberdeen, is the university library. A visit there is definitely worthwhile and non-university students can go visit by showing their student cards or some other valid ID (it’s good to have the international student card when visiting other countries). 

A visit to a horror-themed bar, Slains Castle, is highly recommended! The bar is situated in an old cathedral and the interior looks like it’s straight out of a Dracula movie.Talking about movies, the movie tickets in Scotland are quite cheap so you should take an advantage of that and check out all the good movies. (Tip: the theaters also accept the international student card and you can get a discount for your ticket.) 

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.