Irene Gonzáles Jalonen: “Saalem Gave Me Meaning for My Life”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

When one of my friends that I met at university told me about a church event she attends every Saturday, or rather every Saturday she can, I wasn’t very eager about it until she explained to me what it actually is that they do there. Also, when I saw how many interesting and kind people she had met there I could not help but ask more about it.

How did you come across Saalem?

“I came to visit Helsinki one summer in 2010 seeing as I have family that is originally from here, but I myself lived in Málaga at the time. I came for holidays, but didn’t have many friends to spend time with, and that is when I decided to attend a camp for Latinos. I met some girls there with whom I became very close with and we had great fun together. I then learned that they all attend this Saalem event, but I didn’t get to go then because it doesn’t take place in the summer. I only got to go when I finally moved here in 2012 and I became a permanent visitor. There I met more people and I introduced my brother to it and that’s when I connected with it even further.”

What makes you want to go there?

“At first I attended because of all the nice people there, but then I also started connecting with the message that they sent out. It gave me meaning for my life and I really enjoyed that.”

Would you recommend it to others?

“Yes, but you have to keep in mind that when I started attending Saalem I was 19 and the majority of the people there are that young. So I think that Saalem is great for younger people that are between the ages of 16 and 23 let’s say. I am currently one of the oldest people there. If you are over 25 I would recommend you to go to other events that they have. I still go there out of habit, but I am already starting to think about changing groups.”

What do you usually do at the event?

“Usually it begins with some music. There are singers and everyone gets to sing, play instruments or listen. Whatever they wish to do. After, there is a speaker who prepares a topic that he/she presents and usually it involves God. Later, we have a cafeteria where we get to drink coffee, have some cake and get to know people. After the event is over we usually go out with friends since it is on a Saturday.”

I know I already asked you if you would recommend to go there, but would you recommend it to someone who is not religious?

“Well it depends on the person. You should definitely know that it is a religious event when going there. Having said that, though, I believe it’s a great place to meet new people and if the message they spread speaks to you and you are open to the connection and a new experience, why not? It can be a nice experience, but of course if you’re not a fan of religion you should not go there.”

I myself haven’t gone yet, but having talked more about this with Irene I definitely believe that it is something worth trying. Who doesn’t enjoy good company over a cup of coffee?

Maria Aho

Helsinki

Passionate about social media, food and travel. Former Editor-in-Chief of HC at Helsinki.