Find Your Christmas Mood in Gloomy Helsinki

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The Christmas lights of Aleksanterinkatu were lit up towards the end of November. This signals that the merriest time of the year has arrived in Helsinki. But how are we to get into the Christmas mood if the weather continues to be as gloomy as it has recently been? Aren’t we supposed to be in the home country of Santa Claus, in a true winter wonderland? Well, here’s a practical list of Christmas-related activities in Helsinki (and nearby) for those who are searching for their holiday spirit. Even if there’ll be no snow, Helsinki offers wondrous events during December.

Love to shop?

Going to Christmas markets should be helpful if you are lacking enthusiasm over the upcoming holidays. The most well-known Christmas market in Finland is most likely Tuomaan markkinat (known as Helsinki Christmas Market in English). This market with its cute booths and merry-go-round takes place at the Senate Square and attracts many visitors every year.

Tuomaan markkinat is not the only market organized in Helsinki. Check out for example Teurastamo Christmas Market on December 14 and 15. A different alternative is to visit Christmas sales organized by local schools!

Feeling sporty?

Do you want to go walking while searching for your Christmas spirit? There are Christmas paths to tread around Helsinki. The most famous one is Seurasaari Christmas Path, which is organized on December 15. The patron of the event is Jenni Haukio, a poet and the spouse of the president of Finland. Seurasaari Christmas Path might seem like an event meant for children, but it offers its doze of Christmas magic for adults as well.

As there is no snow for the time being, winter sports can feel a bit out of place. Still, skating is a great form of exercise, and it can help you ignore the fear that December and Christmas might not be snowy at all. Going to Ice Park at Railway Square is a fun experience, as it is a little bit absurd: you are skating in the heart of Helsinki! There are also other places where you can go skating, e.g. Tapiola ice garden.

Is music your passion?

Kauneimmat joululaulut (“the most beautiful Christmas carols”) are community singing events where people gather to sing Christmas carols. There are many opportunities to participate in these joyful get-togethers, as they are held in many different churches around Helsinki. By joining in song, you get to experience the glory of both old, traditional Christmas carols and newer tunes.

If you don’t want to sing yourself, you can go to a Christmas concert where you can just enjoy the music. There are choirs performing Christmas-related songs in museums around the capital area. For example, our national composer Jean Sibelius is celebrated at the Gallen-Kallela museum on December 8 and high school choirs perform at Ateneum on December 17 and 20. (Note that the concerts at Ateneum are free of charge whereas the Sibelius one is not.) As some student organizations and nations also have choirs, they usually have Christmas concerts. Support your fellow students and get into the merry mood!

Passing through the city centre?

On December 13, Saint Lucia (also known as Saint Lucy) is celebrated. It is believed that Saint Lucia brings light into the darkness of winter – and we do need some light in our lives in midst of this rainy and dark season! On Saint Lucia’s day, Lucia is crowned in Helsinki Cathedral at 5 PM and a parade starts from the Senate Square at 6 PM.

Are you busy? Cannot make it to any of these events? If you don’t have that much time in your hands, go and take a look at the legendary fairytale window of Stockmann when you are in the city centre. The window is decorated differently every year and it is known to be spectacular. You can spend a minute marveling the lights of Aleksanterinkatu at the same time!

Helsinki Contributor