This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Kontula often gets a bad rap as a bit of an unsavory neighborhood but, in truth, it can be a very nice area with cheap apartments for us students. No one is denying the existence of unpleasantness around the metro station – but where don’t we have that? Now, in an attempt to make the area more appealing, an underpass near the mall and metro has been covered in street art.

Several graffiti artists painted their own images on the walls creating an interesting and colorful collage of art.

The styles range from traditional graffiti lettering to realistic portrait-type paintings. The cohesion comes from the bold colors and imagination used in the creations.

So, next time you’re in Kontula, head on over toward Mikaelinkirkko and your day will be brightened up by the new street art.

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.
Helsinki Contributor