Facial Rollers Feature Hero
Facial Rollers Feature Hero
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media
Style > Beauty

Derma Roller: What It Is and How to Use It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

What is a derma roller?

A derma roller is a hand-held device that features hundreds of micro-needles around the circumference of its roller head. It’s like a mini paint roller with needles. When rolled over the skin, the needles create micro-injuries that signal to your body to produce more collagen and elastin to repair the affected area. And you know what more collagen and elastin means: plumper and tighter skin and fewer wrinkles! It may also helps to heal scars (including acne scars). Derma rollers also help drive all the super ingredients of serums and creams deeper into the skin, via those mini punctures (which act like channels).

How to use one on your face

Step 1 First, cleanse your skin so the surface is clean. Follow with a toner to rebalance the skin’s pH levels.

Step 2 Now for your derma facial: using a light hand, roll the derma roller in a systematic pattern horizontally over your face, working from the center outwards. Give yourself a wide berth around the eye area. Start at your forehead, work your way down to your cheeks, then move on to your chin.

Step 3 Repeat step two, but this time move the derma roller vertically up and down the face.

Step 4 Go over the face a third and final time in a diagonal direction.

Step 5 Follow up with your favorite serum. Applying one immediately after rolling will increase its absorption by the skin.

PRO TIP:

Avoid using active ingredients like retinol with your derma roller as it’s likely to cause irritation and trauma to the skin.

Maria Printezi

Helsinki '24

I am a student of English Philology and Linguistics at the University of Helsinki.