A Collegiette’s Guide to Washington, D.C.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

In 2014, Lonely Planet named Washington, D.C. the best city to visit. We may be biased but we think D.C. has only gotten better since then. The best things about D.C. are hidden. Yes, we may have a reputation around the States as frumpy, politics-obsessed, workaholics, but spend a little time getting to know the real D.C. and we will prove you wrong. There is a thriving tech, music, and arts scene lead by some of the coolest people you will meet. Summers in D.C. are a blast, with free movies every day of the week and food trucks galore.

Cherry blossoms in D.C.

Food

D.C.’s has a very underrated food scene. The fast-casual space is blowing up with homegrown companies such as sweetgreen, a salad company founded by Georgetown graduates, &pizza, and Cava, which specializes in Mediterranean fare. What these three companies have in common is that they allow you to make your own meals, like Chipotle. These companies are located all over D.C. and have helped raise D.C.’s food profile.

Other standouts include Compass Coffee, which roasts beans locally in their stores. Uprising Muffin Company, which has the best muffins in town. And the trio of District Doughnuts, Astro Doughnuts and Friend Chicken, and GBD provide D.C. with local doughnut shops. Check all three out to find your favorite. If you are looking for something colder, Dolcezza serves the best gelato in town.

If you are looking for more expensive affair, Rose’s Luxury, which was named the best new restaurant in America in 2014, serves mouthwatering New American. They do not take reservations so you often see a line start forming an hour or two before the restaurant opens. Aaron Silverman, the founder of Rose’s recently opened a coffee shop next door to the restaurant and the pastries look divine.

And you haven’t truly experienced the D.C. food scene without hitting one of Jose Andres’ spots. Andres is the king of small plates and his restaurants have practically taken over Penn Quarter. There is Jaleo (Spanish), Oyamel (Mexican), Zaytinya (Greek), Minibar (American), and China Chilcano (Peruvian-Chinese). He also opened a fast-casual concept called Beefsteak, which emphasizes vegetables.

If you want to try a greater variety of ethnic fare your best bet is Adams Morgan, D.C.’s ethnic enclave and one of the nightlife centers in the city. If you are looking for Ethiopian food, D.C. has the best in the country. They are mostly clustered around U St., another center of nightlife. And we can’t talk about food without mentioning Ben’s Chili Bowl. Ben’s is a D.C. institution. Founded in 1958, Ben’s is known for its chili half-smoke hot dogs, and has been visited by numerous celebrities, including President Obama and President Nicholas Sarkozy.

Lastly, brunch is a huge thing in D.C. Our picks are mostly on 14th Street, which is bustling on weekends due to the endless stream of amazing restaurants. Stop by Le Diplomat for amazing bread and classic brunch food, or Birch and Barley for some of the best chicken and waffles in D.C. Pearl Dive Oyster Palace is also a fun place for brunch

Attractions

As a tourist in D.C., you have a plethora of options. As a bonus, the majority of places you would want to visit are free. The top destination on any list is the White House. But while you are there stop by the recently renovated Renwick Gallery, which is just down the street. The Renwick Gallery is part of the Smithsonian, which operates the major museums in the city. As the government funds the Smithsonian, entrance to all Smithsonian institutions is free. This includes the American Art Museum, the Portrait Gallery, where you can see portraits of all the American presidents, the Air and Space Museum, and the Natural History Museum, which holds the Hope Diamond. Another museum that is part of the Smithsonian are the National Gallery of Art, where you can see works from Da Vinci, Van Gogh, Manet, Rembrandt, and others.

The Renwick Gallery

Another touristy activity is seeing all the monuments. A tip is to see them at night, as many are even more beautiful when illuminated. The majority of the monuments are at the Mall, but you can find statues and smaller monuments all over D.C. There are also many really cool paid museums in DC for you to enjoy. The Newseum, the National Building Museum, and the Spy Museum are the highlights. They are all fun, unique museums. If you are in DC during the summer, the National Building Museum is a must-go because of their cool summer exhibits. Last summer they had a giant ball pit, and the summer before that they had a giant maze.

The National Building Museum

Shopping

There are two main places to shop in DC. Head to Georgetown to shop designer brands and smaller boutiques. If you go a bit north on Wisconsin Ave, you will also see a bunch of small eclectic shops and art galleries. If you want the classic American mall experience, take the metro to Tyson’s Corner in Virginia, the largest shopping mall in the area. To experience the American version of markets either head to Union Market, a gentrified market experience with an abundance of food stalls and a few stores. There is also Eastern Market, which probably aligns more to what a tradition market looks like. The indoor market with food vendors is open every day of the week, except Monday. On weekends you can find local artists and crafters selling their products surrounding the market.

Nightlife

The major areas for nightlife are U Street and Adams Morgan. You can also find clubs and bars in downtown DC and Dupont Circle. Columbia Heights, one of the more hipster areas in DC, also has many cool bars. If you want to go where us Georgetown students go, check out the Tombs, which is right next to campus, and Chinese Disco, affectionately known as ChiDi to us students.

There are many great concert venues in D.C. 9:30 club and Black Cat are probably the two most historic concert venues in the city. They offer a wide range of genres, but the Black Cat generally focuses on rock and punk. If you want something classier, the Kennedy Center hosts concerts and performances. At 6pm every weekday, they host free concerts on their Millennium Stage.

All photos (c) Sarah Guan

Sarah Guan

Georgetown

An English Philology major and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Helsinki. In addition to Her Campus, I love good food, travelling, politics and cute dresses. My real passion is cookbooks, which I own way too many, and some day I would love to write one myself.