matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
matteo catanese PI8Hk 3ZcCU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Finland loves its forests. This is something I have noticed very quickly when I first moved here. Especially now, when the leaves turn red and golden, there seems to be nothing more calming than to take a walk on picturesque paths to clear our heads and gather energy for the next day. But the importance of forests goes far beyond our enjoyment of them. They are complex ecosystems, home to countless different species, and they play a crucial role in the preservation of our environment.

Sadly, corporate greed and the promise of profits have decimated the global diversity of forests. We know that our behavior needs to change, so why do we still allow major companies to cut down forests for their personal gain on such a large scale?

In Germany, the media is dominated by the protests concerning the planned continuation of the deforestation of the Hambach Forest, a 12 000-year-old forest in Western Germany. A big energy company has already cut down the vast majority of the forest during the last 40 years to have access to the brown coal underneath. Less than ten percent remains, which the company has planned to cut down this year.

It is astonishing that they still have received permission to lumber the forest for coal despite the steps that have been undertaken to make energy greener. It seems hypocritical that government officials declare and assert how important the protection of the environment is to them, while still prioritizing the interests of large companies.

There is a strong cultural attachment of the people towards the forest Hambi, but multiple lawsuits to stop the deforestation have been rejected so far. Money seems to be in this case more important than our nature and environmental heritage. A few days ago – just before the logging was set to start – the courts have put a temporary stop to the deforestation progress to verify the claim that the forest is home to various endangered species. Therefore, there is still hope for the forest to stay alive.

On a positive outlook, it is reassuring to see how many people have been mobilized to join the protests, despite the inevitability of the situation. Thousands have joined the protests and have impeded the deforestation process. I have grown up not far away from the forest and my social media feed has been flooded with calls to join the protest and to stop the coal industry.

I hope that despite all odds the voices of the people are louder than economic interests and Hambi can be saved. In a protest song, Bodo Wartke sings that a living forest should yield to a dying industry, a demand, which is nonsensical and rejected by many. This goes far beyond just the Hambach Forest; it is about how we use and abuse the environment. That is why I love the Finnish attitude towards their forests. I feel like the rest of the world could follow its example.  

Finland is far from Germany, but if you would like you can make your voice heard to stop the destruction of the forest and put a timely stop to the coal mining in Germany. You can sign Greenpeace’s petition here: https://act.greenpeace.org/page/30799/petition/1?locale=en-GB

Furthermore, if you are interested to listen to Bodo Wartke’s song (in German) about the Hambach Forest, you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTKcnlp0x_Y

Anna-Lena Krug

Helsinki '20

Anna-Lena is a German student of Global Politics and Communication at the University of Helsinki. She loves to read and to get lost in new places; something that has been very easy to do in Finland so far.
Helsinki Contributor