Campus Cutie: Kaisa Kortelainen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Year of Studies: 4th

Hometown: Helsinki

Major: English philology

Hobbies: reading and riding

What is your favorite thing to do after an exam?

I usually like to do something fun to unwind after an exam, like go to a movie or have a nice dinner or go to a pub with friends.

Why did you decide to study English philology?

It was my final year of lukio and I still had no clue what to study. I think it was one of the teachers who said that, if you don’t know what to study, just pick a school subject that you’re interested in and go study that. I picked English and apparently it has been the right choice.

Who is your biggest inspiration?

This one is difficult. I don’t really have one person that I could name as an inspiration. There are several people I look up to for different reasons, but I’m not willing to raise one above the others, so, I’m going to leave this one unanswered.

What is your spirit animal?

Since I have been riding for about sixteen years, I guess I’m drawn to large hooved animals who are strong, smart and easily frightened.

Describe the perfect afternoon.

Now that winter is approaching, I’d like to spend an afternoon somewhere warm and cozy with a book and a cup of coffee.

What would be your future dream job?

I would like to be a translator one day, translating children’s books would be ideal. But I’m also considering studying sign language and becoming sign language interpreter. My dream occupation would have to be something that interests and motivates me, a 9-to-5 desk job in some office would kill my motivation quite quickly.

What’s your favorite movie of all time?

It keeps changing all the time and I have lots of favorite movies from different genres. I like Monty Python and the Holy Grail and I like O Brother, Where Art Thou?, I enjoyed Love Actually and I enjoyed Anna Karenina, but comparing those movies with each other does not seem very sensible.

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.