Campus Cutie: Helena Disbrey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Year: 4th 

Major: Geology (Master’s degree)

Hometown: St Albans, England

Hobbies: walking, crochet, going to gigs, baking.

Do you believe in aliens?

Certainly not the little-green-men type! Although the chance of there being some type of life in the universe somewhere is quite high, I think the chance of us finding it is pretty low. Even if we do find it, the chance of it being evolved enough for us to communicate with is basically non-existent. Maybe that’s a good thing though; in films encounters with aliens never end well for us!

What do you like to cook the most?

I like to cook hearty meals, usually in one pot so there’s as little washing up as possible! One of my favourite dishes I’ve made recently is beetroot bourguignon, which is a great seasonal dish and easy to make. I also like to make simple things like roasted root vegetables, healthy but great tasting.

If you could be a part of any imaginative world, which one would it be?

Ooh hard question! Probably the Harry Potter world because having magic would be fun; also people seem to die slightly less often in those books than most other fantasy worlds!

Your favourite place to visit on a vacation?

This is also a hard one. I love exploring new places, but one that will always have a special place in my heart is Dorset in England. We went on holiday there every year when I was a child, and it has a huge variety of different landscapes. It’s definitely where my interest in geology came from.

The best part about your studies?

I love doing the hands-on stuff, so field trips and lab work are my favourite part of studying. Unfortunately I haven’t had much chance to do the latter yet, but hopefully I will next term.

What surprised you the most whilst studying geology?

The amount of maths you need, everything needs statistical analysis! Once you get used to it, it’s not too hard but it’s quite a learning curve. Plus how little of it is actually about rocks.

What would be the perfect way to spend your free day?

My perfect free day would be spent walking in the great outdoors, away from people. Then I’d stop somewhere for a coffee and a cake, because walking is tiring!

If today was your last day on Earth, what would be your last wish?

Wow that’s deep. I’d probably wish that my family and friends would be ok and would carry on doing positive things with their lives.

Which book heroine do you see yourself as?

I can really relate to Catherine Morland from Northanger Abbey. She has a vivid imagination but seems at loss as to the intentions of everyone around her. She develops throughout the book, but still has the same personality at the end, just a bit more knowledge of the world.

If you could be anyone or do anything, who or what would it be?

I’d be a professional traveller! It would be amazing to travel the globe and write about my experiences. Unfortunately, I have neither the money nor the writing skills for that, but I can dream!

Helsinki Contributor