Campus Celebrity: Johannes Järvisalo – “The more you know, the better decisions you can make”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Johannes Järvisalo, an English translation major and an active member of many student organizations, shared with us his experiences in the world of student politics. Johannes also gave a few tips on how to get more involved in different student organizations and clubs.

Why did you decide to start studying English translation?

Back in the day, I was a philosophy major. But after deciding not to pursue a career in research, I had to think of something else. I thought English would be something I could be really good at. I also went to see a career counselor, and that was the first time I heard you can study translation.

I’ve never been drawn to the obvious linguist career choice of teaching (I don’t think I could stand all those kids.), but translation suits me great. A freelance translator can (to an extent) decide when, where, and how much they work, and you can and must keep learning new things. Importantly, your career choice determines what a lot of your energy will be focused on. I prefer that to be exercising my brain rather than dulling it with a less challenging job (and by that, I don’t mean teaching).

You have been a KouKi and SUB board member – why did you decide to get involved?

For so many years, I managed to stay away from such responsibility, but the very first fall in Helsinki, I got in double trouble. KouKi actually needed board members, and as for SUB, I guess I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This year, I’ve continued on the KouKi board, but passed on my neglected SUB responsibilities to two very able gentlemen, who I think will do very well, but only because I’ve briefed them so well on everything I should have done.

In addition to KouKi, I’ve joined the board of HYS (the University of Helsinki assassin games club) and taken on a little role in HYAL (the coalition of subject organizations at the University of Helsinki).

What do you feel that you’ve gained from participating in student politics?

I was soon surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It’s a great feeling when you’re responsible for something besides yourself. It can be stressful too, but you just shouldn’t take it too seriously like I tend to do. It’s nice to get an insider’s view, and you learn many little things. It’s hard to be very specific, but things about project management and working with others. All along the way, I’ve met a lot of awesome people.

You also ran for the HYY representative council – what pushed you to run for that particular position?

You mean who? I was reluctant at first, but then I decided that it was something too interesting to pass on. I also think HYAL’s network of subject organizations is the best way to get everyone’s voice heard, and I wanted to support that. I’m happy I ran, but perhaps luckily I wasn’t elected. It might have been too much work right now, but I gladly stayed active in HYAL.

How did you experience the campaigning process?

It was exciting. Sort of brought back memories of sales work in the street when I was young. With a lot of people flying by, busy to get to their lectures, you just had to stay focused and do your lines. After seeing hundreds of familiar faces in a short time, I completely blanked out on some easy ones – that was interesting. It was mostly handing out sweets and flyers, but it was very nice when people told me they voted for me.

What advice would you give to someone who is eager to get more involved in student politics?

Go for it, but be realistic too. It’s not as hard as you may think, but there’s a lot you can do, if you have the energy. Subject organizations are mostly about organizing parties, and isn’t that always fun? However, I would recommend looking beyond your home organization. There are faculty organizations (Humanisticum for the Faculty of Arts), Humanisticum and HYY committees, student positions in university administration, and all kinds of social clubs.

As for student politics proper, get connected with as many people as you can and learn about the issues. The more you know, the better decisions you can potentially make.

Take it all as a learning experience. And most of all, don’t let student politics hurt your studies… too much.

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.