Campus Celebrity: Esko Suoranta – “I don’t need to know everything”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Esko Suoranta, a recent graduate of English philology, has already finished his master’s degree, been published in an academic journal, and gotten a job. Nevertheless, he still finds the time to write for the English students’ webzine Better Than Sliced Bread and enjoys the company of his fellow writers. Her Campus Helsinki caught up with the industrious multitasker and asked him to share his experiences in writing as well as the plans he might harbor for the future.

Let’s start with something simple – Why did you decide to start studying English philology?

Well, most of the credit goes to one of my high-school English teachers who showed that teaching English can be more than going through the textbook and grammar course after course. In his class, a friend of mine and I worked on a culture project for which I got to read fantasy novels, watch Monty Python, and stuff like that. He was also the first English teacher who was demanding even to kids whose English was pretty good. That was inspiring for a 17-year-old. Didn’t make me a teacher though, since university made me discover literature in a whole new way!

What has inspired you to write (and to read)?

Many things for sure. My parents read to us when we were kids and trips to the library were common enough. I guess I was always into make-believe, so when I discovered roleplaying games, writing adventures, characters, and stories became my favorite past-time. Words have long been the number one creative outlet for me. I’ve penned song lyrics, journalism, research, and dabblings in fiction.

How has working for BTSB (Better Than Sliced Bread – English students’ webzine) helped you in your writing?

Immensely. BTSB has offered me chance to try out many different types of writing and taught me a lot about my own style and technique. Also, what every writer should learn, in my opinion, is to keep deadlines – with which BTSB has helped a lot. Further, in recent years when we’ve started more actively to comment on each other’s work, I think I’ve developed a better eye for good writing.

What pushed you to write an essay about the Bigend trilogy for Fafnir (Nordic Journal of Science Fiction and Fantasy Research)?

I attended the Finfar conference of science-fiction and fantasy research in 2013, the theme of which was opposing forces. I had just finished reading William Gibson’s Bigend books and instantly thought that this was something to look into. I wrote a paper for the conference, started my master’s thesis on the same subject after that, and then was later asked to expand the original paper into an article for the first issue of Fafnir. For a time I juggled the article and the thesis at the same time, but somehow both got done!

Now that you are officially graduated as a Master of Arts, where do you see yourself going from here on?

I have a great day job at the moment, but I have to admit that after having gotten something done in the writing/research department, I am considering applying for PhD studies.

What’s the most important thing you’ve learned from your studies at the University of Helsinki? (Besides the basic comma rules and proper use of tree diagrams, of course!)

Hah, please don’t make me showcase my knowledge of tree diagrams, there’s nothing there! I have to say, it’s difficult to pinpoint just one thing. At least for me, my time at the university has been a comprehensive experience, during which I’ve grown as a person (as you do in seven years) and come to know the way I learn and like to work. Maybe one concrete thing would be that I’ve finally realized that I don’t need to know everything. I don’t need to be a linguist, a translator, a teacher, and a literary critic at the same time – I can pick the one I like best. This was something I failed at in high-school, doing everything without knowing what for.

Any words of encouragement for those of us still struggling to finish our studies?

Don’t sweat it and take your time. Life is not waiting for you after you graduate, you’re already in its midst, living it to the fullest. Keep your eyes open for whatever opportunities life throws your way.

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.