Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Best at-home date ideas for Valentine’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching and you would like to go out on a date with your significant other. But what if you are in quarantine or your area is on lockdown? Is Valentine’s Day ruined? Not to worry! Watching a movie is not the only thing you can do at home. So without further ado, here are five actually fun date ideas you can carry out in the safety of your own home!

1. Let’s go to the beach…

Put on your swimsuits, spread your towels on your living room floor and don’t forget to bring summery snacks and drinks! When you close your eyes, you can almost imagine that the living room lamps are the sun that’s shining brightly on this beautiful summer’s day.  Are those waves you’re hearing? Okay, maybe it’s the 10 hours of wave sounds -video you found on YouTube but it gets you in the beach mood and that’s all that matters. If you get too hot, you can take a refreshing swim… umm, shower, and get right back to reading a nice book, sipping your drink and just relaxing. And don’t forget to cuddle!

2. Ready for cook-off

Okay, so you can’t go to a restaurant. You could order delivery but what’s the fun in that? I suggest that you go through your pantry (I know you’ve got some pretty old stuff in there) and challenge each other to a cook-off. One of you can prepare the starters, one the main course and then you can work on dessert together! You’ll bond in the form of some friendly competition while preparing dinner and finally using up all those canned goods from the back of your pantry. Everybody wins!

3. Questions, questions

This is something I love to do with my partner every now and then. Just sit down and start asking each other questions about life and love. You can either come up with the questions yourselves or google “questions for couples” and you’ll find plenty of options. Talking to each other honestly and being vulnerable in each other’s company will bring you closer together and nurture your relationship. You’ll probably also learn something new about one another.

4. Video games all day

Now, it is important that you choose what you want to play together. Playing video games with your significant other can be so much fun but it certainly will not be if you’re playing something one of you loves and the other one hates. Find some cool game on the Internet, hop on a Mario Kart car or download something on Steam, it’s all up to you! I’ve thoroughly enjoyed playing “It Takes Two” with my partner. It’s a platform game for two people where you will be required to work together and cooperate. We also play Starcraft 2, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Terraria, to give you a few examples. Try one of those or something completely different, it’s all up to you!

5. Walking around virtually

I was recently browsing YouTube and stumbled across a walking tour of Venice  -video. The person filming just walked around the city for a couple of hours and you could also turn on captions to learn about various landmarks they passed. I know it’s not the same as actually traveling but it was pretty cool nonetheless. Maybe you can take a walking tour of a city you have always wanted to visit with your partner – while cuddling on your sofa. If you want to be real tourists, you can even take pictures of all the coolest tourist attractions you pass! And your legs won’t even get tired!

Lotta Nieminen

Helsinki '24

I study social science and when I don't I really like to look at butterflies, take naps and think about how I'm going to make the world a better place some day.