Bella Ciao: Time for the Most Expected Money Heist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

If you haven’t watched the previous seasons, stop here. Spoilers ahead.

The anticipation’s over: only two days until the release of Part 5 Volume 2 of Money Heist (La Casa de Papel). What first started as an intended limited series with 15 episodes and two parts run on Spanish network Antena 3 has now expanded into a worldwide phenomenon. If you have managed to avoid red coveralls, Salvador Dalí masks and, of course, countless versions of Bella Ciao, now is the time for you to hop along.

The song Bella Ciao is originally known as an Italian protest folk song from the late 19th century and later during the World War II, it was modified and adapted as an anthem to reflect the partisans fighting the fascists. Today, the song is still sung worldwide as an anti-fascist hymn of resistance and freedom. If you know the lyrics, you may understand the symbolic meaning of the song in the show. In Money Heist, it is sung during the times of big plot points some of which may also account as victory. Yet the significance is clear: death is near. The official version featuring in the show is the one of Manu Pilas.

Let us also keep in mind the song’s symbolic meaning of revolution since there are also other political symbols in the show, for instance, the red coveralls, as the colour red has carried the meaning of new freedoms and liberties during different revolutions and not to forget, it’s quite known as the colour of blood. How about the Salvador Dalí masks? Of course they have a deeper meaning as well. It is said that the famous Spanish artist created most of their work during the Dada movement (also known as Dadaism, a European avant-garde art movement in the early 20th century). The movement consisted of artists who resisted the logic, aesthetic and reason of modern capitalist society.

I know we have many questions regarding the new part.

Will Alicia hand the Professor over to the police? Seeing her knick the pair of players made me shiver. After all, she is one of the most wanted women in Spain. She also mentions that she refuses to run from the police for the rest or her life. Yikes.

How about Tokyo? Some say that she may have survived the little surprise she set up in the end of the first volume of part 5 but dear reader, I have bad news for you. Even though the show is known for incredible plot twists, this one just simply isn’t possible.

Will the heist crew manage to escape or end up dead? How about Rafael, Berlin’s son introduced in the first volume of part five?

Get yourself comfortable on the couch and ready for the release on Friday December 3rd.

Until then, you may learn the Bella Ciao lyrics by heart and sing along when it comes up on the show. Here are the lyrics according to Genius:

Una mattina mi sono alzato
O bella ciao, bella ciao, bella ciao, ciao, ciao
Una mattina mi sono alzato
E ho trovato l’invasor

O partigiano, portami via
O partigiano, portami via
Ché mi sento di morir

E se io muoio da partigiano
E se io muoio da partigiano
Tu mi devi seppellir

E seppellire lassù in montagna
E seppellire lassù in montagna
Sotto l’ombra di un bel fior

You may also find it interesting to compare the Italian lyrics to the English ones, also listed on Genius:

One morning I awakened
Oh Goodbye beautiful, Goodbye beautiful, Goodbye beautiful! Bye! Bye!
One morning I awakened
And I found the invader

Oh partisan carry me away
Oh partisan carry me away
Because I feel death approaching

And if I die as a partisan
(And if I die on the mountain)
And if I die as a partisan
(And if I die on the mountain)
Then you must bury me

Bury me up in the mountain
(And you have to bury me)
Bury me up in the mountain
(And you have to bury me)
Under the shade of a beautiful flower

And the people who shall pass
(And all those who shall pass)
And the people who shall pass
(And all those who shall pass)
Will tell me: “what a beautiful flower”
(And they will say: “what a beautiful flower”)

Kukka

Helsinki '23

English major and an aspiring activist who mostly chills with her dogs or reads books.