Life > Academics

Back to routine – Tips for staying focused

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Unfortunately nothing lasts forever, and it is time to get back to work (btw, I hope you had a great Easter holiday). After this little break, you might find yourself scrolling Instagram reels instead of focusing on your essay. To get back in shape, I created a shortlist of easy and clear methods and techniques that will help you to stick to your studying routine.

The eisenhower matrix

The name of this method resembles a formula from a high-school physique book, doesn’t it? Actually, the method was named after Dwight D. Eisenhower, the 34th President of the United States (1953-1961). Before his presidency, Eisenhower served as a general in the army and as the Allied Forces Supreme Commander (during World War II). Busy schedule and constant decision-making led him to invent Eisenhower principle. These days it helps us prioritize our to-do’s by urgency and importance.

Take a piece of paper and split it into four sections: do first, schedule, delegate, and don’t do. The first section is dedicated to the most important tasks that must be done the same day. Second section is called schedule. Tasks that are important but less urgent should be listed here. In the third section you should list urgent but less important tasks that can be delegated to other people. And the last section (called don’t do it) is all about neither urgent not important tasks that can be ignored. I bet you will be surprised how much stuff can be easily left out of your schedule.

Time blocking

Now that you identified the most important task for the day, you need to schedule your day. That is exactly where time blocking comes in handy. This practice helps you to plan your day in advance. Basically, you need to create a specific time frame or block for certain tasks. Instead of listing only urgent tasks and all your responsibilities, leave some space for your hobbies and family to prevent quick burn-outs. Even though time blocking is mainly used for short time planning, this method also be helpful when it comes to planning a whole week (especially if you have bigger projects).

The Pomodoro Method

Due to evolutionary biology, our brain cannot focus on a single task for long period of time. That’s why it is important to deactivate and reactivate your brain. Whether you are studying for exams or preparing for a presentation, remember to take breaks. For smaller tasks, you can use the Pomodoro Method. In case you missed the idea of this trending method, for every 25 minutes of work you are supposed to take 5-minute break. Short and planned breaks will help you to stay focused and productive. All you need is a timer.

I hope you find the listed methods useful but remember that it is not a full list of time management tools. Don’t hesitate to experiment with different techniques and adapt them to serve your goals.

My name is Diana and I am an English major at the University of Helsinki. Love books, writing and studying languages.