This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Helsinki Art Museum (HAM) currently features various excellent exhibitions: “Ai Weiwei @ Helsinki”, Tiina Raitanen’s “Recall”, “100 years of Taidesalonki”, and “IC-98 Aftermath”. HAM is located in the second floor of Tennispalatsi in Kamppi and they offer a student discount for all exhibitions. They also offer free entrance to all exhibitions on the last Friday of the month.

Tiina Raitanen’s “Recall” is a series featuring normal, everyday items that are slowly becoming history, such as CDs and metal hoops from wooden barrels.

“100 Years of Taidesalonki” is a celebration of the 100th anniversary of the oldest operating art gallery in Finland. Taidesalonki’s focus has been on colorful paintings, and so, the exhibition features 100 paintings that have passed through the gallery at some point or another.

HAM also gives open guided tours of its exhibitions on Saturday’s with the price of the admission ticket for those who are interested in hearing about the history and works on display.

All photos © Laura Kurki

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.
Helsinki Contributor