From Around the Globe: Becky Lobrovich and James Henricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The new school year has begun for the students of University of Helsinki, which once again welcomes its newest members – they’re new, they’re fresh and they’re here to shine and to show you what they’re worth!

So, who are some of these ‘members’ and how do they feel about life in Helsinki? In this series of interviews, we will get to meet some of the Master’s degree students from all over the world, starting with Becky Lobrovich and James Henricks from the United States. Becky and James are studying Neuroscience and Theology at the University of Helsinki respectively and they kindly offered to be the first ‘victims’ for my very first article for Her Campus Helsinki!

Year: 5th (Becky), 8th (James)

Major: Neuroscience (Becky), Theology (James)

Hometown: New Jersey (Becky), North Carolina (James)

Hobbies: hiking, running, experiencing new outdoor activities, and sleeping (Becky), sports, hiking, jogging, cooking (James)

HC: How do you feel about your first trip to Europe?

Becky: I have never been outside of North America, until now. It has been a great experience so far especially because I came earlier for the Helsinki Summer School. I am taking life one day at a time because being so far from home is an adjustment, but being around friends has helped a lot.

James: Prior to moving to Helsinki, I have never been to Europe. The first time I set foot on European soil was in my frantic dash at Charles de Gaulle airport to make my connection to Helsinki. So far, it’s been great. I’ve met a lot of other great international students who I’ve connected with, and the people I’ve interacted with have been very kind.

HC: It definitely is an adjustment and might take a while before one starts feeling truly comfortable. But what do you miss the most about the US now that you’re here in Finland?

James: The thing I miss most is the people who are important to me back in the US. I didn’t watch much TV in the US, so it’s not really a big deal to miss TV shows, and I can cook the foods that I miss. Items I left in the States are all replaceable. Definitely, it’s the people I miss most.

Becky: The most I think I miss from the USA is driving my car, of course besides my family. My car for me is freedom and I love going on random drives blasting my music to clear my head.

HC: I think we always miss our families the most, no matter where we are, as they are our support system through ups and downs. But besides being homesick, did you experience any culture shocks?

James: The biggest culture shock so far has been no small talk. The other day, I happened to leave from my apartment at the same time as my neighbour. We rode the same elevator, walked to the train station, and the whole time nobody said anything. In the part of the US where I’m from, people know their neighbours, and will usually at least say hello passing each other.

Becky: I think there was a slight culture shock in the beginning but everyday there are little things I am beginning to love about Helsinki more and more.

HC: Can you name 3 things on your bucket list?

Becky: Well the most important thing on my bucket list was checked off last night (Friday 28th of August)! I got to see the Northern Lights for the first time, although they weren’t as bright as I would have hoped for. I was super excited and my friends and I were all stoked to see them; we saw them in two occurrences last night. The second thing is probably visiting Amsterdam, and the third is probably making my apartment as home-like as possible.

James: While I’m living in Finland, three things on my bucket list are to go to Lapland, eat reindeer, and travel to neighbouring countries.

HC: Seeing the Northern Lights is definitely one of the most exciting things that has ever happened to me. What about you?

Becky: I would say the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me was making the decision to study for my masters in neuroscience halfway across the world. I’ve always wanted to travel abroad during my Bachelors but was too timid to do so.

James: Having a bear come into my campsite was pretty exciting, to say the least.

HC: Becky, I think James won this time… Are you adventurous?

James: I think so, but I’m more adventurous when I am with other people. I like to share experiences with people, rather than go somewhere solo.

Becky: I think I am becoming a more adventurous person, especially since I went canoeing for the first time during the Summer School – I’m getting the feeling that I will become more adventurous during my time here.

HC: Since we are in one of the coldest countries in the world, what is the best way, in your opinion, to spend the weekend when it´s cold outside?

James: If it’s too cold to go outside, I think the best way to spend the weekend is in a warm place with good company. It’s much better to be with friends – whether going together to see a museum, watch a movie, or just relaxing in someone’s apartment – I think it’s good to have company when staying inside for a while.

Becky: Probably the best way to spend the weekend when it is cold outside, is making snow angels, haha. Or cuddling up on my couch with some friends, hot chocolate and getting into the spirit of the holidays.

HC: You both are reading my mind! And now for the final questions: what’s the latest good film you’ve watched and your favourite song at the moment?

Becky: I would say was Dodgeball because I only have Netflix right now and Dodgeball will make you laugh your arse off! My favourite song is probably “Cecilia and the Satellite” by Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness.

James: I recently watched Chef – it’s about a cook who opens a food truck. My favourite song at the moment is probably “1979” by The Smashing Pumpkins.

Helsinki Contributor