Whether you made resolutions or not for 2016, there’s always one habit you can never pick up too often or too early: exploring and understanding other worlds through reading.
In today’s society where information is abundant and visual gratifications are instant, curling up with a book in a quiet corner and getting lost in the magic of adventures, word plays, ingenious plots and witty humour can almost feel like a luxury. And if for you finding the time and the incentive to read has become more and more challenging alongside the frenzies of work and studying, look no further, for HC Helsinki has set up its very own reading group on Goodreads to offer support and encouragement for all fellow book lovers. Just follow these simple steps:
Photos from Death to Stock Photos
1. Set up a Goodreads account and join the HC Helsinki Book Club.
If you don’t feel like registering on Goodreads, feel free to comment below to let us know your personal reading challenge for 2016.
2. Post a new topic on the discussion board introducing yourself and your reading challenge for 2016.
You’re free to use any reading challenge lists you can find online, a personalised one you compiled yourself or simply let others know any books you’d like to read. Remember that the most important thing is to have fun and make reading an enjoyment. Here are a few fun lists for you to consider:
HC Helsinki's Top 5 Current Reads: http://www.hercampus.com/school/helsinki/reading-tips-5-novels-read-now
3. Invite your friends and family along!
4. Update your reading progress by editing your list throughout the year and adding books you’ve finished reading to the group’s bookshelf.
5. Do comment and give encouragement to your fellow readers.
Feel free to share recommendations, discuss the books you’re reading (remember to mark your posts with *Spoiler alert* when appropriate) and expand your horizon by discovering authors and titles you’ve never heard of before.
6. Show us your book love by tagging us with #helsinkireads and #hchelsinki on Instagram and Twitter!
Hope to see you in the book club soon!