3 Student-Friendly Style Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.
As a university student, you might often find yourself short of money, time, and/or energy. Luckily being chic can be fast and easy! I collected a few simple and cheap style tips for us busy and tired collegiettes – let’s be fabulous this fall!

1. One-Minute Smokey Eye (with Two Shades)

This simple make-up routine will give you a smoking hot (pun intended) look that is suitable for any situation, from class room to night club.

Choose a dark shade (such as grey, black, or dark brown) and start applying it on your lash line, working your way up towards the crease by moving your brush in a back and forth motion. Apply a lighter shade, such as cream or rose, to the corner of your eye. Add black eyeliner on your upper lid and brush a good amount of black mascara on your lashes.

2. Kitchen Therapy for Hair

Here’s a recipe for smooth, soft hair. Ingredients: olive oil, baking powder, and if your hair needs some natural straightening, vinegar. Pamper your hair by giving it this affordable (and easily accessable) treatment once a month.

Begin by applying 1-2 table spoons (depending on the length and thickness of your hair) of olive oil to your hair. Avoid the very root of your hair, though, so you don’t end up with completely oily locks. Let it sit for 15-30 minutes and rinse thoroughly. This treatment will add softness and smoothess to your hair, and is also very nourishing and moisturizing.

Mix a teaspoon of baking powder into a cup of warm water and apply the mixture to your hair. Rub your scalp thoroughly and rinse. This will add texture to your hair and give it an intense cleansing.

Finish by rinsing your hair with a mixture of 1-2 tablespoons of vinegar and a cup of warm water. Let it sit for a minute or two before rinsing it off. Vinegar has a naturally smoothening and straightening effect on your hair.

3. Accessorize!

An easy and affordable way to renew and refresh your wardrobe is to get creative with accessories. Go hunting for scarves, belts, hats, and jewerly from second-hand clothing stores – you might find some unique gems that you wouldn’t find anywhere else and for an agreeable price, too (plus, you’re doing the environment a favor by rocking a recycled look!).

Throwing on a pair of jeans and a comfy sweater can sometimes be all we can manage before that 8 a.m. Spanish lecture, but you can spice this look up by adding a few colorful details.
A 22-year-old anthropology student from Helsinki. Music, photography, and poetry are close to my heart.