etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Stay Wise this Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Spring vacation is deemed the ultimate party utopia for most college students, especially in Hawaii, where the beaches are always picture perfect. Why wouldn’t you take advantage of a week away from professors and assignments? Everyone deserves to have a few drinks and a good time after all the hard work. However, with large amounts of alcohol, it is important to be cautious during the break. 

According to statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice, approximately 89,000 rape cases are reported annually – 97% are women and 47% are alcohol related. With these numbers in mind, there are a few guidelines to follow to ensure you have a fun and safe Spring Break. 

1. Buddy system. Your mom taught you this when you were young, and this golden rule is still the best tactic to keep you safe. Make sure when you’re out that you have a reliable girlfriend to check in with at all times! If you made group plans don’t be the pain that all your friends have to hunt down. Ladies, bad things can happen when a woman is alone and intoxicated. Stick to the plan!

2. Be responsible. It’s important to have fun, after all, you’ve earned it! However, don’t act foolishly because nobody likes having to care for a drunken, hot mess. If you don’t want any embarrassing posts on Facebook, be responsible.

3. Be aware of your settings. This includes your location and the people around you. Use your judgment wisely, and if you or your friends feel uncomfortable with someone take heed to that. Your instinct is telling you something – don’t ignore those messages. There have been countless cases of people whose lives have been saved from following their intuition. It only takes a second for a good situation to turn into a dangerous one.

4. Judge character. Wolves like to hide in sheep’s clothing! Some men and women out there are watching and waiting to see when you are most vulnerable so they can take advantage of you. If you’re interested in somebody, take your time to really get to know them over a series of dates. Never, ever leave a party with a stranger. 

5. PERSONAL ALARM NECKLACE. On top of all this advice, the most important to consider is the personal alarm necklace, especially if you’re the type who likes to be a lone wolf. A PAN is the best because it’s easier to have on you then a keychain and you can discretely hide it in your bra instead of fumbling in your purse. They’re lifesavers that cost less then $15 and will set off an alarm to scare off the attackers. It only takes a second to access and can’t be used against you like mace or other weaponary. 

With all that being said, enjoy your spring break. Just remember: your safety needs to be top priority! 

Hawaii Contributor Account