Spring Break Beyond Waikiki

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Let’s be real, we’re lucky. Our beautiful Hawaii home is other people’s vacation destination, and there are endless reasons why. But sometimes when we get caught up in the school grind, we don’t have as much free time as we want. That’s why Spring Break is the perfect opportunity for us to treat ourselves with a Staycation!

By free time, we don’t mean Netflix-binging on the recently updated season of Breaking Bad is (as amazing as it is). Would you actually want to be stuck indoors if you were on a vacation on a beautiful island? Probably not. So here we have a list of outdoor activities for those craving a little adventure for your staycation beyond Waikiki!

LANIKAI PILLBOX

If you’re an early bird head to Kailua and hike the Ka’iwa Ridge Trail, more popularly known as the Lanikai Pillbox Hike. You will not be disappointed as you watch the sun rise from one of the easternmost parts of Oahu.

It is a notoriously easy hike. Your desitnations are the pillboxes at the top of the mountain. The only things that might slow you down are the amazing views of Kailua and the Mokulua Islands from the edge of the ridge.

You can park your car along the street in front of the Mid Pacific Country Club, and walk down Kaelepulu Drive to find the trailhead. 

Post-hike, take a short drive to Lanikai Beach for some R&R. 

MAKAPU’U TIDEPOOLS

This treasured spot is a great place to come with a couple friends to cool off and have a little lunch. It is ideal when the swell is strong so more water fills the pools, and you get to see the waves crash against the rocks.

The tidepools are easy to get to. Start at the Makapuu Lighthouse trail, and shortly you will pass a Whale information display. From there, you hike down to the tidepools.

KEALIA TRAIL

Want to try something new to keep up that Spring Break bod? Head North and try the Kealia Trail. This hike gives Koko Head a run for its money. With 19 switchbacks and an average 4-hour round-hike, Kealia is a great way to keep up that cardio. Needless to say, don’t hold back on bringing a full water bottle or two.

The trail consists of three parts: the Kealia Trail, the Kealia Access Road, and the Kuaokala Trail. The Kealia Trail has 19 switchbacks. At the end of the switchbacks is a picnic table. There isn’t much of a view from this first trail, but as you trek forward it immediately inclines. The next dirt road is the Kealia Access Road. It is a very obvious trail, and it burns! There are many steep uphill climbs that really whip your butt.

You’ll finally reach the third leg of the trail, the Kuaokala Trail that continues for another 2.5 miles. Good luck catching your breath, because the view of Makua Valley will just take it away again. Pictures just can’t do it justice. 

To access this hike, drive towards the Dillingham Airfield in Mokuleia. You will make a left at the third gate and will see a sign indicating the Kealia Trail. Follow the Kealia Trail hiking signs to the designated parking lot. Directly across the parking lot is the trailhead.

After that work out, head back down for a well-deserved lunch and spend the rest of your day on your favorite Northshore beach.

KA’AU CRATER

If you’re looking for something more adventurous, try tackling the Ka’au Crater Hike. But be warned, this is a very dangerous hike. You’ll be hiking through the forest and crossing rivers while passing three waterfalls until your destination of an amazing view from the top of the crater over looking the Windward side.

This is not a hike for beginners. You do not actually just pass the waterfalls; you climb up the falls. There is a rope for assistance and the rocks are conveniently placed for this part of the hike, but use your best judgment.

Walking along the ridge also takes balance, so consider the drops if you are not as sure-footed.

The experience is one-of-a-kind and what you will see is spectacular. 

The trails starts at the back of Palolo Valley. To get to the trailhead, drive to the very top of Waiomao Road in Kaimuki.  One you get to a lot assigned “Temple Parking Only”, drive around the bend and the next area on the right will be a small parking lot. You will see a sign that indicates the trailhead. 

Hawaii Contributor Account