This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Spotify’s new AI DJ’s beta has officially been rolled out to the public. But what exactly is this so-called AI DJ, and what does it do?

“DJ X”, as the new AI is called, is a new function in your Spotify. In a way, DJ X functions much like a radio DJ. He has a little spiel he says that introduces sections of songs that he plays, he plays music you already know and like (as well as music that you may like), he plays throwbacks, and he also plays editor’s picks (akin to playing popular music). 

This function debuted in late February, but I was not really aware of it until a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been using this new function quite a bit. There are many things that I like about this new DJ.

Firstly, I do really enjoy the “radio host” without ads. I won’t lie, I do rather like the idea of a personal, tailored radio station. One thing that I really like about traditional radio is that I am often introduced to new (or new to me) music that I may not have found on my own. Streaming loses that aspect. I really appreciate that the algorithm mixes in new-to-me music (based on what I already like) and plays it in with music that I already know and love. I am on premium, so I don’t ever get Spotify ads, but having a “radio” without ads is pretty new to me and I love it!

Secondly, I like the variety of “radios” played. There is a “based on recent listening” radio, a “from your past” radio, and an “editor’s picks” radio. I especially like the “from your past” radio. I forgot all about the absolute bops I used to listen to a long time ago, so it’s fun to have them pop up and play! It truly does work like a radio – every few songs in a radio set, the DJ will change course and switch to one of the other radios.

Thirdly, I do like the AI DJ’s voice. I usually find the voices of mobile assistants, like Siri, Alexa, and the Google Voice Assistant, to be pretty grating. The voice of DJ X is Xavier Jernigan, who has been one of the voices featured on the daily, personalized Spotify podcast called The Get Up. Spotify has confirmed that the DJ’s voice will evolve as time goes on, so I am excited for what is next!

Finally, the features of Spotify that I wish I more cognizantly used, like radio, Discover Weekly, and Repeat Rewind, are all combined into this one function! 

I honestly don’t see many drawbacks to this new function. Obviously, it is still in beta, so there may be new aspects that get released going forward. However, I am extremely pleasantly surprised by DJ X, the AI DJ! I can’t wait to see what else this fun addition has in store!

Shae Walker

Hawaii '23

Shae currently studies Communications at the University of Hawai'i at Mānoa and is the Campus Correspondent for HCHawai'i. In her spare time, Shae likes to listen to music, hike, and cook.