sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sharon mccutcheon Ru 7if4siHA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Single on Valentine’s Day? No Worries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Calling all the single ladies, all the single ladies!

It’s that time of year again: love is in the air, the price of chocolate and roses have increased significantly, and restaurants everywhere will be slammed with reservations for two. It’s the most romantic day of the year…if you’re not single.

For those without a significant other, this is just a day where the phrase, “I am single and lonely,” is written all over your face. Yes, for some, Valentine’s Day is one of the most memorable days of their lives, but for most, it’s just another day of acknowledging availability…right?

Wrong! There is hope for all the lucky souls that are not in a relationship. Instead of seeking love on Valentine’s Day, share it! Below are four ways to spend Valentine’s Day productively. 

1. Feed the homeless community. Food and/or clothing drives are a good way to share the love. Make a warm meal within your dorm to give to the homeless, or donate to a homeless shelter/soup kitchen. In the state of Hawai’i, there are roughly 6,000 homeless people who don’t make it into a homeless shelter. Working on your own or with friends is a fun way to bond. Get creative, get everyone involved, and have fun; it’s the best feeling in the world knowing you’ve helped someone get through another rough day of living on the streets. 
  2. Spend the day with animals. No one can resist the power of a sad puppy or kitten! This Valentine’s Day, give the gift of TLC to an animal at your local animal shelter. You can donate towels, pet food, toys, and even volunteer at the shelter. These are some shelters in need of help this Valentine’s Day.
  3. Go Vegan for the day. The animal cruelty counts in meat and dairy factories are horrendous and increasing. Not only is the cruelty inhumane, but it lessens the quality and nutrition of our food. Educate yourself on the benefits of a vegan diet, then spread the word via Facebook event! Host a Singles Against Animal Cruelty Dinner with all your single friends at a vegan restaurant. Here is a list of vegan-friendly restaurants in Honolulu.
  4. Host a Style Your TOMS Party. The TOMS One for One program donates a pair of shoes for every pair you buy. Currently, TOMS can help you host a Style Your TOMS Party! All you need are friends and family, classmates, professors, and some art supplies. Then, download the party guide on the TOMS website! It’s a great way to give back to children in need! Plus, you get to design your own pair of TOMS! Download the guide.

If you are dateless this Feb. 14, embrace it! You have the whole day to do something more rewarding than a date.

~Half Korean-half White hybrid majoring in Communicology and German; with a minor in Business Administration. ~Easy-going CAT LOVER & Humanitarian..don't worry, I also have a Yorkie. ~When I'm not working, reading, writing, or cuddling with my pup and cat, you can find me on campus mentoring freshmen and planning campus events. ~Dream job: Writing for Buzzfeed... Heyyyy Buzzfeed! ;)
Hawaii Contributor Account