Roommate Etiquette 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

We’ve all readskimmed, glanced over those mandatory “Roommate Etiquette/Responsibilities” guidelines.  However, tedious contracts may not fully prepare for the realities of living with a roommate. Luckily, HCHI has a lot of roommate experience and a few tips that’ll keep everyone you’re living with happy:

1. Sharing is always caring. Always.

2. If you make coffee for yourself, make coffee for the whole apartment. Everyone appreciates coffee.

3. A shot for you = a shot for your roommate(s).

4. But no booze stealing.

5. Always follow up with Febreeze after making a bathroom deposit.

6. Unless your roommate deserves what’s coming.

7. Only sneak enough of your roommates’ food so that it’s not noticeable.

8. Respect the sleep!

9. Vegetarian and meat lovers make for quite compatible roommates.

10. Roommate gone for the weekend = sleeping naked.

11. If your roommate sleeps in and skips class, it is perfectly acceptable for you to follow suit.

12. Make time for the occasional roommate outing.

13. If you guys aren’t mean to each other you’re probably not friend-roommates.

14. Wardrobe sharing is bound to happen.

15. Ladies, syncing will occur at some point (and many more points), so stock up.

16. Be a roomie and help ward off unwanted advances from the opposite sex.

17. But don’t forget to be a roomie and help a sista/brotha out when said advances are desired. 

18. Roommate sleepovers are perfectly acceptable.

19. Pranking is totally okay as well.

20. Yelling your issues at your roommate is more productive than saying nothing.

21. You don’t have to be the cleanest or neatest, as long as everyone mutually accepts it.

22. Money lending will happen often. But it’s okay, you know where they live.

23. Clean up after yourself (duh!).

24. If your roommate does not love pizza, drop them immediately.

25. Don’t study together. Nothing will get done.

26. Point out the occasional booger, food stuck in teeth, sticking out tag, bad breath, messy hair and ugly outfit. It’s less embarrassing coming from someone who has seen you with bedhead. 

27. Share your favorite music, movies, and books!

28. There is no shame in the roommate game. Your roommate(s) will know your life.

Born and raised on the Big Island of Hawaii. Art and Communications double major at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. Loves to create things, build things, craft things, the whole shabang. Creative and chill is the way to be. Check out @goodarethevibes on Instagram for custom stickers!
Hawaii Contributor Account