This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

For me, there is one thing that I never fail to think of when I think of Fall and the holiday season, and that’s books. While summer reading and taking my book to the beach is one of my favorite hobbies (as reading as a general statement is), there’s something extra special about reading during the holidays. Maybe it’s the hot tea, blankets and sweaters that are being sold everywhere, or possibly it’s being so full that moving my hands to turn a page is the extent of my abilities. But regardless of why, reading a book or three is my favorite part of the season of Thanksgiving and holiday cheer. So what’s been on my reading lists of Christmases Past? Here’s a look at some of my favorite books of all kinds of genres and why I loved them so much.

1. Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

From the mind of the man that brought you the book that brought you the best Amazon Prime original series ever made (Good Omens), comes a much less well-known, highly underrated story of mystery, adventure, and the London Tube. You, like our main character Richard Mayhew, might not know that there’s a secret world hidden under the streets of London, where magic is real and where dark things are taking place. When Richard finds a young woman named Door bleeding on the street, it sets him down a path of adventure through the courts of the underground that he never could’ve expected.

Neil Gaiman has written some amazing stories that have inspired many movies and TV-shows, including but not limited to: Coraline, Stardust, and American Gods. His books are some of my very favorites, but of everything he has written Neverwhere will forever be my top choice. This book is a must read for any lover of dark fantasy and unexpected heroes. Also, pro tip: Neil Gaiman reads his own audiobooks and his reading of Neverwhere is AMAZING!

2. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

This work of historical fiction is a delightful piece of insight into the selection, training, and life of a geisha. Follow main character Chiyo Sakamoto, who is selected at the age of nine, as she trains to become a geisha just before the start of World War II. Discover a rich world of political schemes, dark secrets, jealously, and romance that will shape Chiyo into the person she becomes.

This book has some dark themes and some triggering scenes, so it is not for a reader who isn’t comfortable with sexual content and depictions of abuse. But, for those of you who are intrigued, this book really makes you feel like you’re a part of Chiyo’s life in Kyoto. It starts a little slow paced, but I promise by the end you won’t be able to put it down. I also highly suggest that you watch the film after reading to see all the beautiful kimono come to life.

3. Animal Farm by George Orwell

This book is another one on my list that is often overlooked in favor of a more well-known book by the same author, in this case 1984. One of my favorite genres is political satire, and this book takes it to an extreme. Animal Farm is a symbolic representation of the Bulshevik Revolution in Russia in the early 20th century, except instead of people it is farm animals taking arms against their owners. I know it sounds weird but trust me this book is worth a shot.

Animal Farm really leaves the reader thinking afterward, but in a way that is much less oppressive feeling than 1984. I actually first encountered this book in school, and it has stuck with me ever since. I immediately bought my own copy after reading it for class, and I can’t say that about many novels I was assigned for school. So if you’re looking for an insightful read about history and politics, this is the book for you.

4. Cinder by Marissa Meyer​

Cinder is the perfect example of a book that I loved and a series that I hated, but despite that that doesn’t keep this book from being one of my very favorite Y.A. novels. Cinder is a dystopian sci-fi novel loosely based on Cinderella. Set in a plague-swept New Beijing hundreds of years in the future, this story follows a cyborg named Cinder as she navigates her way through a society that is not very tolerant of her kind. When Cinder is sold into a research program to help fight Leutumosis, a deadly discovery is made about Cinder’s true identity. And of course, there’s a prince.

Although this is no traditional Cinderella story, I’m a bit of a sucker for a dark take on a classic fairytale. This book is very easy to read and the world building that takes place is truly enrapturing. Although the series as a whole wasn’t great, this book remains one of my favorite Y.A. novels to this day.

5. Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari

I personally am not much of a non-fiction reader, but this book is a work of genius. The story starts one hundred thousand years ago when six human species ruled the Earth and teaches us how the homo sapiens became the ones to survive. From there it teaches us how we came to believe in gods, how bureaucracy was created, and what lead us down the path to rampant modern-day consumerism.

I’m not the first fiction lover to read this book and recognize its genius. Harari is a captivating writer with a tale to tell that every human should hear. His insight is truly remarkable, and I really think it’ll charm readers of all genres.

6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

It wouldn’t be my reading list if I didn’t include my favorite book of all time, Frankenstein. This is the book that I recommend the most, hands down. When I first read this, I never expected the meaning that this book would have for me. You know the story, Dr. Frankenstein learns to create life from the parts of the dead, creating a creature that he cannot understand or control. But, I wonder, what would the monster’s side of the story be like? Popular culture has caused us to forget which one of them is the monster and which one is the man.

This book is beautiful, simply put. It includes so many themes that I never expected out of gothic horror, such as neglect, loneliness, depression, obsession, prejudice, and fear. This book is more than just a classic horror story, it’s social commentary in disguise. There are parts of this book that I think about regularly and reread over and over again. There are moments that make me cry every single time. I hope for those of you who decide to give it a shot, that it means as much for you as it did for me.

I hadn’t realized how much I love a good social commentary piece until I compiled this list, but I hope this helps you pick your next holiday read and that some of my favorites might make your own favorites list. What will I be reading you ask? That’ll be The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon, the fifth installment in the Outlander series, to start with that is. Happy reading!

My name is Lauren, I'm currently a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa double majoring in Chinese and communications, I'm also a very passionate Planned Parenthood volunteer/intern. In my free time I like to dance salsa and read books on the beach.
Hawaii Contributor Account