element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Life > Experiences

Making a Christmas List at 20-Years-Old

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

My parents have ‘empty-nester syndrome’. My parents recently moved states, and it’s the first time that I’ve felt truly independent from my family. With the holidays coming up, my mom is ecstatic that I’m coming home for Christmas. And, I honestly can’t tell whether I’m looking forward to it or dreading it. It’s not like an 8-year-old Christmas anymore. The transition from being a kid at Christmas, versus an adult at Christmas, kind of sucks.

“What do you want for Christmas this year?!”  

In all honesty, I’m 20 years old and the only thing that I want for Christmas is for my bills to be paid for. The question, “what do you want for Christmas?” is extremely hard to answer when you’re practically living by yourself, usually already paying for the things that you want, and have bigger priorities to think about: schoolwork, bills, making money…etc. So, what do you say to your big-eyed parents asking what you want for the holidays?!

DON’T SAY ‘NOTHING’!

What are you trying to prove by saying that you want ‘nothing’ for Christmas? That you’re a successful, independent woman who doesn’t need fuzzy socks this year? …Well, maybe that’s true… but, if your family bursts with happiness knowing your toes are warm for the holidays, then just write ‘fuzzy socks’ on your list. Christmas time as a new adult is extremely confusing for your family. It was so much easier when you were 8-years-old and could write a list of toys that you wanted in under 5 minutes. So, here are my tips on what you do 12 years later to answer the dreaded question:

Close your eyes. 

Think about what you would do in your free time if you didn’t have school/work/bills…etc.

What do you need to enjoy your free time?

For example, I like to paint if I have a few extra hours. But painting requires supplies: canvas, paint brushes, paints…etc. Or, maybe you enjoy bubble-baths during your free time. Probably a great addition to a bubble-bath would be some products from Lush, like a fancy bath bomb or a luxurious face mask.

Don’t have time for free time?

Think about what would make your life easier. If school work takes up most of your time, ask for some new fancy gel pens. Sometimes asking for a new planner for the next year can be one of the most exciting gifts. Check out Erin Condren to get some ideas. 

Can’t think of anything else to add to a Christmas List?

Beauty products, clothes, or jewelry. Are you really going to say no to these three?

Emma is an undergraduate student at the University of Hawaii at Mānoa, pursuing a bachelors degree in Sociology with a focus in Criminology, Deviance, and Social Control. She plans to further her education and continue to Law School in 2020. She has a passion for painting, loves theatre, and cherishes her moments with her sisters of Alpha Gamma Delta.