This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Due to the passing of Valentine’s Day, I thought I’d write a little about love. 

If I were to ask you to name all of the things you love, how long would it take for you to say yourself?

Now, growing up in this generation I know most of you wouldn’t even think to name yourself. We were never taught how to love ourselves, and that is, honestly, the most important thing you can do in this lifetime. Now, it is not as simple as saying you love yourself.

Learning to love who you are is a dance. It is less of loving you, and more of falling in love with taking care of yourself.

If you think about how you love others, what are some ways that you show them love? You hug them, give them encouraging words of advice, you give them gifts. When the people you love are sad or make a mistake, you don’t get angry at them, you are the gentle reminder that it’s okay and it will be okay. 

Try and do those things for you.

I can tell you the best thing I have ever done for myself was learn to speak gentler, kinder, and with more love. Read below for some examples.

I have body issues, things I am not happy about, as most do. I personally struggle with acne. I wake up every morning and tell myself I am beautiful no matter how I feel. I do not say, “Oh I don’t look good today.” anymore. No matter how I feel I always tell myself that I am pretty. When I make a mistake, like forgetting my notes while I’m running late for class and am under stress, I have been able to tell myself, “it’s okay, it was just a mistake”, instead of getting angry at myself and putting myself down. You know how all of us girls have that girl code where we have each other’s backs? 

My challenge to you is to include yourself in that infinite list of girls. You need someone to have your back, what better person to be that beside you yourself? 

Each and every one of you is important, and beautiful, and so worthy of every single dream you wish to accomplish in your life. And you can do everything and be everything with yourself. I promise you that you are a whole human being, and that no relationship will ever define who you are. 

You are all strong and beautiful women who all have the power to move mountains! I cannot wait for the revolutionary moment when you fall in love with taking care of yourself.

Like I said, it’s a dance, a dance you will do for the rest of your life. 

But boy oh boy is it a beautiful one. 

Challenge: Wake up and give gratitude to the thing you hate the most about yourself everyday. Even though you may feel different, physically speak it out loud. And continue to do it until you do not hate it anymore. 

With love, Jaclyn.

Hello my lovely ladies! My name is Jaclyn and I am currently a junior at the University of Hawai'i. I am working towards my Bachelors of Science in Natural Resource and Environmental Management with a specialization in Plant Ecology and Conservation! In my free time, I love to do anything outdoors including hiking, going to the beach, free diving, and photography. I enjoy doing yoga, reading, painting as well as looking at plants!
Hawaii Contributor Account