Style > Beauty

I Tried to Practice Good Habits for a Week & This is How I Feel

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

I have always been so jealous of girls with the “that girl” aesthetic, where gals have their lives together, eat healthy, get all of their stuff done, etc. I am not that girl, I am the other girl. I get either so tired or lazy that I won’t do basic things like brush my hair, take a shower, or workout. (Of course, I will admit that depression plays a huge part in this).

But I wanted to challenge myself and try to practice being that girl. I chose two healthy habits, drinking water and doing my skincare routine, that I was going to do every single day for a week.

Here is the bad news: It did not go as well as I planned. I decided to start this challenge during the most stressful time of the semester, during finals. During the first two days, I was doing well with my water intake. I wasn’t drinking the recommended 8 cups of water a day, but 3-4 cups a day was a huge improvement from my no water intake. But after the first couple of days, I started to chug more energy drinks and coffee to help with completing everything for finals. So the water challenge turned out to be a bust.

The skincare routine challenge was definitely much better than the water challenge. I mainly focused on my nighttime skincare routine since I knew that my mornings are never the same and I needed to try to be consistent. After the first three days, I noticed that my skin looked a lot brighter and my dark spots started to lighten. My friends could even start to notice it!

Although no one is probably asking, here is my nighttime skincare routine:

While showering, I use my CeraVe foaming facial cleanser and gently rub it in circles for about a minute. This helps to ensure that the product is really getting all of the dirt and extra oil on my face. Then when I get out of the bathroom, I put a couple of drops of my Ordinary hyaluronic acid and follow it up with my collagen serum. I love that my collagen serum helps keep my face’s elasticity and keeps me looking young (and I really need that because of the amount of stress I’m constantly under). Then I put on a tone smoothing serum that helps lighten my hyper-pigmented spots and tap that into my skin. Lastly, I put on a sheet mask that really depends on what kind of mood I’m in for the night! This routine really helped me with clearing up my skin!

But again, because it is during finals week, I started to stress and broke out in stress pimples.

So although finals did ruin both challenges for me, due to the amount of stress, I actually truly enjoyed trying this out! I was able to practice more healthy habits because I was trying to do my skincare and drink water. Since I was doing my skincare every night, I made sure to shower every night. And since I was showering, I decided to brush my teeth since I was already in the shower. And since I was already brushing my teeth, I figured that I should also floss and use mouthwash. Everything was very interconnected and I feel like I’m more accomplished now since I was able to practice more healthy habits!

Aloha everyone! I'm Mary Joy, born and raised on the island of O'ahu. I'm a senior majoring in Business Management. On my free time, I enjoy finding new places to eat, spending time with friends, and taking naps :) I enjoy writing for HerCampus and showing everyone what I love about the island!