This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

In my book, it’s officially BURNOUT SEASON! Just in time for the holidays and right after midterms, I find myself crashing ― burning out, during this time of the semester. And if we were in Spring, once March hits, I’m already burnt out and waiting for Summer to come. Whether it’s work, school, personal troubles, or a mix of all three, a burnout season is definitely a hard feat to get out of one and to bounce back from it. 

In my experience, I get burnouts semesterly and it’s not a fun time. Burnout is a state of emotional, mental, and often physical exhaustion brought on by prolonged or repeated stress. Does anyone feel like there should be a break; a time to take a deep breath, after midterms? Because I do, and because there isn’t one, that’s when I enter a burnout session. With finishing midterms, continuing on to other big projects or assignments, and then planning study groups for finals ― this is a tiring cycle. 

But never fear! Getting through a burnout season is one thing and coming out the other end stronger and smarter is another. It’s not the worst feeling in the world, so here are a few tips that I use to get out of this funk and conquer BURNOUT SEASON:

Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize!

It can be very hard to organize an already crazy workflow, but prioritizing what’s most important to you right in the moment will help keep you from spiraling (even more). When things get too overwhelming and I feel unmotivated to do anything, due to over working myself, in that same moment, I try to prioritize what I want most. For example, I’m prioritizing myself above all else, so I might take a break, but not just any break a me-break (two very different ideas). Then, I’d take time to be with family and other relationships, and when I’m ready, I’ll prioritize getting at least 10% of anything work related done. I do this every hour, throughout the day and ultimately, before I know it, I got through a mental-drainage type of day.

It’s a weird and complicated cycle, but try it out and prioritize what you want to prioritize, not what others want you to. No strict deadlines, no multitasking, just prioritizing. Take one thing at a time and you’ll be feeling fine in no time.

Step back and Slow down

There’s a saying, “Stop and smell the roses.” Well, this is definitely a mantra that I say to myself whenever I get into such a funk. Taking the time to really step back and slow down helps me with gathering my thoughts and appreciating the little things in life. During burnout season, I find it best to lightly press on the breaks of my life and re-evaluate how I got there in the first place. Going out of the way to get out of my usual environment helps clear my mind and get a breath of fresh air. Everything around you will still be moving and time will be ticking, but a few hours away from the chaos will be good for the mind, and everything and everyone will still be there when you come back.

By doing this, it truly helps refresh my mind, take the time to self-reflect, and chill. It might seem obvious to do this (to get away), but try going to a quieter place, don’t just go to the nearest cafe, instead find a place in the city/town that you’re in that has clear air and a nice view. If you’re like me, you’ll grab your car keys, pickup some overpriced sushi plater, and eat from the roof of your car while looking out into the city lights as the sun reaches the horizon. One session of that and my mind is as clear as day!

travel adventure sunset jeep road trip
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

Self-care is why

In the end, it’s always a good idea to ask “Why? Why am I burnt out?” In my experience, being honest with myself is the most comforting. And coming to terms with it, I can do the necessary treatments to overcome this burnout season and get back to being me, better and smarter. It’s not a new term to give yourself self-care, but it is true, self-care is everywhere. Some examples include, meditation, eating three times a day, and maybe finally starting a skincare routine! It’s the little things when it comes to prioritizing you, stepping back/slowing down for you, and it’s as easy as eating and resting enough everyday. Adding these self-care practices will help nourish you mentally and physically. And soon, you’ll be back and better than ever because now we’re stronger and wiser about what to do when a burnout comes creeping around.

Burnout season is real and can take a toll on yourself even if you don’t recognize it. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, overworked, and out of touch, try these tips to help find some sort of release from a burnout. You got this!

Aubrey is a second-year student majoring in Public Health and pursuing a minor in Biology at UH Manoa. Being born and raised on the island of Maui, Hawaii, she aspires to help others, focusing on community outreach and underrepresented minority health. In her free time, she enjoys traveling, journaling, and going on picnics/watching films with family and friends.