hawaii jeep surf board beach
hawaii jeep surf board beach
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

How to be a respectful visitor in hawai’i

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Hawai’i is an absolute beauty. Being born and raised here, I know that she is a place of paradise that outsiders want to experience. But most times, when people come here, they disrespect the land, culture, and people because they have this entitled attitude. Coming from the perspective of someone who has spent her whole life here and wants to raise my future family here too, here’s how you can be a respectful visitor.

Know Your Place

I get it. You moved here for college or you saw TikToks about it and thought “Wow, Hawaii is so beautiful and it just called me”. None of that will make you a kanaka (Native Hawaiian) or even a local. Please understand that you are a visitor to the islands. The ‘āina owes you nothing, but you being here means that you owe her, at least some love and care.

Volunteer Your Time

Volunteering at lo’i farms is a great way to give back to Hawai’i. If you live on campus, there’s a lo’i right down the street from us, Ka Papa Lo’i O Kānewai. They take volunteers every first Saturday of the month and even feed the volunteers after. There are many other lo’i around the island, you can search for one near you. I highly recommend encouraging your friends to volunteer with you. It’s a great way to give back and take care of the āina while also learning about Native Hawaiian culture.

Don’t Be Entitled

I have to make this it’s own point, even though I was kind of hinting at it in the first point. But please don’t be entitled. This is what makes Native Hawaiians and locals call you “haole”. And if someone calls you a haole and you get offended, please think about why you would be offended. Chances are you’re not from here and you did something stupid, wrong, or both.

Clean Up After Yourself

This one is something that college students really need to learn. When you go somewhere, don’t leave trash. Pick it up and throw it away. Who do you think cleans up after you? Why do you feel the need to leave your trash and leave the place dirtier than it was when you got there? A good rule of thumb is to leave a place cleaner than how you found it.

This article could go on forever and ever but the main point is that if you’re visiting Hawai’i, please respect her. She takes care of us. And that nothing will ever make you Hawaiian except having ACTUAL Hawaiian blood running through your veins. If I’m not going to call myself Hawaiian (because I’m not), why are you going around calling yourself Hawaiian because you’re here for college?

Shoutout to my friend, Kyla Rae Paglinawan, for always teaching me more and more about Native Hawaiian culture and really immersing me. You are a true mana wahine. Aloha wau ia ‘oe.

Aloha everyone! I'm Mary Joy, born and raised on the island of O'ahu. I'm a senior majoring in Business Management. On my free time, I enjoy finding new places to eat, spending time with friends, and taking naps :) I enjoy writing for HerCampus and showing everyone what I love about the island!