Wellness

How Making Your Bed Every Morning Will Change Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Mornings used to be one of the worst parts of my day. I used to be extremely tired once I had gotten out of bed until I started forming different habits right once I woke up. Creating a morning routine that best serves you will help you tackle your day by setting a tone that better helps you control your schedule rather than it controlling you. 

For about a year now, I have been making it a routine to make my bed every morning. Right when I wake up, it’s the first thing I do. Looking at a made bed makes me not want to get back into it. I have found that I am most productive right when I wake up, which is something I never thought was possible until I changed how I looked at my morning through various routines that I have adapted to. 

It can be super difficult to create new habits for yourself, especially in the morning. Here are some tips and tricks to helping you create a morning routine you will love!

1. Find what works for you.

This is the most important step. I have previously had many routines in the morning that I have changed because they did not work with my lifestyle and they just made me more stressed out.

This is NOT meant to stress you out. Creating a morning routine that works for you will help you start every single day off on a good note. It gives you time to do the things you always say you’re going to make time for, like working out, doing yoga, meditating. The beautiful thing about YOUR morning routine is that you can do anything you desire.

2. DRINK a big glass of water.

Now, this should be on all of your morning routines. Before coffee, before food, before anything, you should drink a large glass of water. Your body has been hibernating for x amount of hours, it’s dehydrated, and you will wake up faster if you give it what it needs! My tip is to have a water bottle by your bed when you wake up, so you can just grab it and chug.

3. Get your body moving.

I for one have a hard time going to the gym. More so, I have a hard time WANTING to go to the gym. But I know that my body will thank me if I give it some time to stretch and build strength. In the morning, on some days, I give myself the option to do a Youtube home workout. You don’t need weights, or a gym, or even shoes! 

On other days, I choose to do yoga to strengthen my mind and body. Getting right out of bed and stretching has improved my day by A LOT.

But, as I said, those are the things I do to get my body moving. Find what works for you! If you just love to dance, put in some headphones and have a five-minute dance party with yourself. If you like to run then go for a run! If you have no idea what you like, don’t be afraid to try new things, you might be surprised as to what you might like!

4. Make some breakfast.

Now, some of the best things you can eat before noon is fruit. Eat some fruit when you wake up, maybe even treat yourself to a smoothie! If you’re not a morning eater, no fret! Just drink some water.

Hack: buy frozen fruit at the store, you can make smoothies whenever you want! 

5. Make your bed!

When I tell you that building this habit for myself has drastically changed my life, I’m kidding. It’s a funny thing too, something as simple as making my bed every morning has shown me that the little things do in fact matter. It’s the first task that you can accomplish. It gives you a little sense of pride, and it makes you want to accomplish more things with your day. 

I write this in hopes of improving each and every one of your mornings, days, and life. I hope you too find great joy in waking up, drinking a big glass of water, making your bed, and believe in yourself enough to have the great day that you want to have. 

With love, Jaclyn.

Hello my lovely ladies! My name is Jaclyn and I am currently a junior at the University of Hawai'i. I am working towards my Bachelors of Science in Natural Resource and Environmental Management with a specialization in Plant Ecology and Conservation! In my free time, I love to do anything outdoors including hiking, going to the beach, free diving, and photography. I enjoy doing yoga, reading, painting as well as looking at plants!
Hawaii Contributor Account