Don’t get me wrong, some people would kill to live in a state where it’s one season all year round. Hawaii is no exception. However, if you love fall just as much as I do, here are a few tips to help you make it feel like the seasons are changing (even though the humidity once you step outside says otherwise).
1. Decorate your dorm room or apartment! Spooky season is upon us, which means all your fave stores have stocked up on various fall-themed items. Ross, Walmart, Target (the fun dollar bins by the entrance are the BEST), Goodwill, and Savers are a couple of stores where you’ll get the most bang for your buck.
2. It doesn’t feel like fall until it smells like it! Bath and Body Works has their line of uniquely titled, fall-themed scents ranging from pumpkin pecan waffles to crisp morning air. Lush’s products, from their bath bombs to soaps, have gotten the Halloween treatment too. Just remember that scented candles are probably not the best idea if you’re living in student housing (don’t blame me if you get written up by your RA).
3. Grab a fall-themed treat! Enjoy the pumpkin spice everything, every day (it’s only available once a year, so might as well be basic, walking around with your PSL from Starbucks). And if your hobby is baking or if you aspire to be the next Food Network star, here’s a Pinterest board with a ton of unique recipes.
4. Grab some friends and make a trip to a local fall festival! Aloun Farms has their annual pumpkin patch starting Saturday, October 13, with $3 admission. There’s also free admission to The Great Pumpkin Festival, which is happening on Saturday, October 20.
5. After you’ve picked up your pumpkin at the pumpkin patch (or your local grocery store if you can’t make it to one of the festivals), have a pumpkin carving/decorating party with some friends! Here’s some free pumpkin carving patterns to get your creative juices flowing, and another Pinterest board full of pretty painted pumpkins.
6. Watch some Halloween-themed movies! Netflix is slowly releasing horror movies throughout the month of October. Freeform (rip ABC Family) also just started their 31 Nights of Halloween, showing movies like The Haunted Mansion and Hocus Pocus (if you don’t have access to cable, their website has some fun Halloween stuff). And while The Suite Life of Zack and Cody isn’t a movie, their episode “The Ghost in Suite 613” is my fave Halloween throwback to watch.