Original Illustration by Megan Charles for Her Campus Media

College Roommate Horror Stories Part III: You Are a Kook..

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.
First off, thank you for all the submissions! Click here to submit.
This weeks theme is: You Are a Kook.. 

This weeks is a mix of different stories. Not everyone is kook but these are just some kooky things.

Excuse me, what? Some of these are the definition of crazy roommates…and yes it happens, you get blessed with the BAD, questionable roommate. The only advice I have is to move out if your roommate is giving off shady vibes or maybe even call the police (lol). There are also the roommates who just have issues, so it’s an unfortunate situation where you battle between pity and irritability. There are many people looking for leases or for someone to take over a lease. You do you, boo. 

Please enjoy, each roommate was given a nickname.

1. Raging Smoker

Campus: Eckerd College

Gender: Female 

Story: 

“My roommate would not let me go to sleep and would wake me up in the middle of the night. She was blacked out Tuesday-Saturday, and she never skipped Wine Wednesday. She did drugs, smoked cigarettes, and vaped, and if she lost these items she would not let me leave the room until we found them. I had to bring her to the hospital once because she was diagnosed with smoker’s cough. She would get so drunk she would call guys by the wrong name. She also liked to take guys virginity and would have sex while I was in the room when I was asleep.”

“One night, I locked the door because I didn’t want my friends to come into my room. I fell asleep and around 3 a.m., then heard this horrible scream, and banging on the door. My roommate, who was very drunk, then proceeded to scream and threaten me. I was so scared and started to cry and pretend I was still asleep. She then left to go to someone else’s room and found her key and got into the room. She woke me up to tell me I had no right to lock her out. She said if I wasn’t her roommate she would have punched me. She already had a black eye from a fight she had earlier.”  

2. Miss Sleazestack

(not the urban dictionary definition; the lizard)

Campus: UCLA

Gender: Female

Story: 

“She got headaches every single day at 12 p.m. and the lights had to be off and curtains closed from 12-8 p.m. until it was gone, literally no light.”

3. The Night Stalker

Campus: Linfield College

Gender: Female

Story: 

“My roommate got upset when I put up curtains because she couldn’t watch me sleep and that gave her anxiety.”

4. Lonely

Campus: University of Hawaii, Manoa

Gender: Female

Story: 

“Last year, my roommate didn’t go out much, but I was pretty much the opposite. I went out every weekend with my boyfriend and a few friends, and she had called me on the weekend angry about why I wasn’t home. Then she told me I ditched her for my boyfriend. The following weeks she kept accusing me of weird things and then told me her therapist told her I was the reason for her depression. Honestly the story is kind of sad but I had to draw the line when she poured the crumbs from the microwave onto my desk. I live alone now.”

“Once, I walked in on her butt naked, having phone sex, and then she wouldn’t let me back into the room when I left for her to get dressed. She thankfully moved out the next month.”

5. Deal Gone Bad

Campus: University of Hawaii, Manoa

Gender: Female

Story: 

“Whole story about this girl is WAY too long, but to make a long story short, my sophomore year roommate just wanted to have a bad girl phase way too much. After a bunch of other crazy shit, she moved her drug-dealer boyfriend into our apartment, who dealt out of our place and almost got me and all of our roommates arrested on several felonies, then laughed in my face when I asked her to apologize. She ended up ghosting all of us and left us to deal with the mess she made. I live alone now.”

6. Late Late Late Show

Campus: Cal State, Long Beach

Gender: Female

Story: 

“My roommate would literally keep her TV on 24/7, even while sleeping and when she wasn’t even in the room.”

7. Fake Baby Drama Mama 

Campus: Hawaii Pacific University 

Gender: Female

Story: 

“WOW I don’t even know where to start. In the first hour I met her, we both went to Walmart to get stuff for our dorm, and while we were there, she looked at me and was like “Hey. So. There’s something you need to know, but just also know that I’m HANDLING it”, and shows me a picture of a sonogram showing she was pregnant. I later found out that it was a stock photo and she lied about the abortion. Apparently, she had a second abortion about 5 months later, or so she said. Come to find out, she is a complete compulsive liar. She spent the entire year gaslighting me and lying to me about anything and everything. The highlight of the semester was when she told me that she wanted to get an emotional support animal and our room was really small, so I told her that a small to medium sized dog would be a great ESA. I felt like she could genuinely use one for her anxiety. Without telling me, she went to the Humane Society and brought home a 55 pound pit bull mix puppy, who was definitely not trained. It’s crate was bigger than my bed – a crate with the toys and food I bought because she forgot her wallet (girl, you still owe me $100). Freshman year was an absolute MESS but I ended up with my boyfriend of 3 years, while she got engaged 3 times, married, had a kid, and divorced, all by 21. Ladies, don’t be crazy.”

8. Dine and Dash

Campus: University of Hawaii, Manoa

Gender: Female

Story: 

“My roommate was the girl on the lease. We all paid her cash and she paid the landlord. Three months later the police knocked on our door. Apparently the landlord hadn’t received rent in three months and we had 48 hours to vacate the premises. We had all paid her but the girl wasn’t paying the landlord. She had also gone on five vacations in the span of three months. I later found out she was unemployed. I spent the next 48 hours finding a place and moving all my stuff out. I hassled the girl for my deposit and after several days I surprisingly got it back.”

9. High Jack Or Smack

Campus: University of Hawaii, Manoa

Gender: Male

Story: 

“I found out my roommate was doing heroin and stole a bunch of cash from my landlord. ?”

10. Rock ’em, Sock ’em

Campus: UNC

Gender: Female

Story: 

“My roommates called the cops on me because they thought I stole their socks…”

Editor’s note: Better have been really expensive socks, damn.

11. She Got #Cancelled 

Campus: University of Hawaii, Manoa

Gender: Female

Story: 

“Moved in with a random girl from Florida and other roommates into a new house. First night we moved in, we had a small get together and we were playing drinking games. One of the game’s questions was about politics. Come to find out the girl was a hardcore Trump supporter and a homophobe. Her and one of our other friends had gotten into an argument about it and stepped out of the room. Next thing you know, we hear yelling and screaming and she had punched our friend in the face and called him a f**. It escalated and we all moved to the dining table area, and when our other friends came along, she threw another punch and hit one of our friends who had intervened in the face. Long story short, the cops were called and we almost got evicted on the FIRST night we moved in because of this psycho.”

Please submit more! Send to everyone you know! 

https://forms.gle/GAncWfWJRdUG6vSm7

Anna is a senior at Hawaii studying Computer Science specializing in Cyber Security and minoring in Math. She is from Napa Valley, California. She loves focusing on school, health and fitness. When she is not studying, you can catch her working out, at the beach, with family, cuddling with her cats, at a coffee shop eating a lot of food or traveling somewhere off island.
Hawaii Contributor Account