Life > Experiences

BEING AWAY FROM FAMILY ON THANKSGIVING ISN’T ALL THAT BAD

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

“I can’t cook a Thanksgiving dinner. All I can make is cold cereal and maybe toast.”

– Charlie Brown

Holiday season is upon us! Whether it’s your first year you won’t be home for Thanksgiving or you’re a seasoned veteran, being away from your family during the holidays can be tough. I’ve had my fair share of turkey days away from home and I’m about to add one more. Although I always miss my family, I’ve had some fun and memorable Thanksgivings away from them.

Attending or hosting a “Friendsgiving” is my absolute favorite way to spend Thanksgiving away from my family. It’s all the Thanksgiving fun, without the added family drama. The key to a successful Friendsgiving? Simple. A whole lot of food. Make sure you and your friends coordinate beforehand with a sign up sheet so everyone knows what food and drinks to bring. This ensures there aren’t duplicate dishes and those with dietary restrictions have some dishes to eat. Your Friendsgiving can be as lavish or simple as you and your friends want. All you need is good company and delicious food to celebrate this year.

If you and your friends all live in a dorm and hosting a Friendsgiving isn’t an option or maybe you’re like Charlie Brown and can’t cook, going out to eat is a great alternative. This might be different from the traditions you grew up with, but it can be a great twist on how you celebrate your holiday. Many restaurants offer a scrumptious special Thanksgiving day menu. Dining out can give you a relaxing, delicious holiday meal free from shopping, chopping, and a whole lot of cleaning. Don’t wait! Reserve ahead of time as reservations tend to fill up quickly.

Don’t forget, technology is an amazing tool to connect with family or friends you can’t be with on this holiday. Make time to FaceTime them if you’re feeling a little homesick or even sending a quick text can go a long way.

Being away from home during the holidays can be hard, but embrace this time to spend with friends or make your own fun traditions!

Averi Burud

Hawaii '22

Avid surfer & current student studying Sustainability at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.