This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

I am just going to preface that this is getting done on May 8th, which is the beginning of finals week. So if you have not already been told, happy finals week, my dudes. I am crying tears of happiness and sadness because this means that I am almost done with my freshman year of college, which is a little cray cray, I’m not gonna lie. I did not foresee myself getting here because it has been a rough year academically, but I can taste the finish line. During this year, I have gone from being a secondary education English major to just an English major, then an English major and a history major, and then this summer it will go from an English and History major to an English, History, and Communications major. I can tell you that at the beginning of this year, if you had told me that I would be a triple major by this summer, I would have told you that you were crazy because before I became a triple major, I looked at triple majors as these badass people who I could never be like, but here I am. So I’m going to give you all my secrets in hopes that you will take them and not make all the mistakes that I made. ing of this year, if you had told me that I would be a triple major by this summer, I would have told you that you were crazy because before I became a triple major, I looked at triple majors as these badass people who I could never be like, but here I am. So I’m going to give you all my secrets in hopes that you will take them and not make all the mistakes that I made.

There is one question that I will always ask people when they ask me how to become a triple major or even a double major, and that is if they are an organized person. I ask this because for me, this has been the one way that I have survived the process of becoming a triple major, the time management that it takes to be a triple major, and all of the classes you have to take to be a successful person with multiple majors. If you are not organized, you will not be a successful person with multiple majors and you will end up dropping one or more of your majors (in most cases) if you are not organized because there are a lot of deadlines and requirements to be a multi-majored person. So that is my step to help guide you on your wonderful journey to being a multi-majored person.

The next most important guide on how to be a successful multi-majored person is to start the process as early as you can and ONLY use your advisors when absolutely needed. Because the majority of the time, all they are going to do is show you a website that you could have accessed on your own without their help. The only exception is when you need their signature and mandatory meetings. The first thing that you’re going to need to do when starting the process of becoming a multi-majored person is to look up what classes you’re going to need to take for the desired major(s) that you want to add-on to your college plan, as well as go to see your desired major program sheet. For this, you’re just going to need to type in the search bar UHM program sheets and click on the first link. Then you will have access to any program sheet you will possibly need.

So for the multi-major process, UHM wants you to get approval from each major advisor for the majors that you are doing. Then you’re going to have to plan out all four years of college to prove that you can do it while meeting all your gen-ed requirements. Then you’re also going to have to write a justification on why you would like to be a multi-majored person and how it would benefit you that ranges from half a page to two pages long. The process does take one to two months, depending on what major you’re going for. I know for me personally, I had to take a prerequisite for my communications major and that is why it is still not officially my third major. So, my advice is always to look into pre-requisite courses for whatever major you are interested in.

One of the most honest truths I am going to tell you is that multi-majored people rarely get sleep. You will be tired all the time from trying to do something more ambitious than other people. That is just the truth. How I deal with this is a lot of naps and caffeine. Now I do not like coffee or tea, but let me tell you  when you have 3-4 essays due in a week, you will down a lot of mountain dew. I am the insomniac of my friend group, and any one of my friends can tell you that, but I sacrifice sleep to be able to do what I do. If you value sleep a lot, having multiples is probably not for you, but if you have insomnia, this is the right choice. Anyway, that’s all the advice I have because, in true multiple major person fashion, I need to go take a nap.

My name is Brass. I am an 18-year-old who is also a junior in college. I am a triple major in English, History, and Communications. I have a lot of hobbies such as knitting, roller skating, reading, writing, and paddle boarding. I am highly involved in the University of Hawaii at Manoa campus such as being the financial chair of EMA (English Majors association) and taking pictures for Ka Leos newspaper.