Anna Schultz-Socks And Laptop In Bed
Anna Schultz-Socks And Laptop In Bed
Anna Schultz / Her Campus
Life > Academics

5 Tips And Tricks For How To Rock Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.
  1. Create a study schedule and stick to it. When you create a study schedule and stick to it, it causes you to be more productive in getting your studying done. For me personally, I tend to do this on the to-do list template that is provided in Google Sheets. I also tend to print out the weekly schedule that is also provided as a template on Google Sheets to give myself a more detailed map of when I will be getting what assignments finished. The smaller chunks that you break it up into will help your brain feel less overwhelmed by the situation presented in front of you.
  2. Go to the library. You will be more productive at work if you create a barrier between your living space and your study space. I usually go to the Hamilton library on campus because it is open late during the weekdays; it usually closes at 10 p.m. on weekdays before finals week. Then it has a tendency to close around 2 a.m. during finals week. It is a really quiet environment where you can really focus on the material you are working on. However, it does get super cold, so if you plan on being there for extended periods of time, I recommend that you wear pants, socks, and a hoodie. The library also has group presentation rooms that you can rent out for free to study with your friends if you are feeling extra friendly.
  3. Start before everyone else. I am a triple major, and I swear by this. I already have one of my six finals done because I start in November. I always make it a goal of mine to get all the finals that I can get done before finals are done, so that they are out of the way and I can just focus on the few finals that will be taken during finals week. This is much more difficult if you’re a STEM major, but there is always at least one final that you can and should get done before finals week. I personally try to get all of my finals done before December, but that is just me.
  4. Do not procrastinate. I feel like this one is pretty obvious, but I feel like it needs to be stated because if you slack on getting your studying or work done, your grades will reflect that. A good grade on a final can turn a C into a B, which can drastically improve your GPA, so put effort into preparing for them. I know that it can be hard to get out of bed and do it because I relate, but you shouldn’t procrastinate. For me, the way I get out of bed when I do not feel like doing it is to literally roll out of bed to shock myself awake. I also drink drinks in the morning that I enjoy the way that I enjoy them, so for me that is an iced coffee with hazelnut creamer.
  5. While you should study, remember to take breaks too. During finals, I take a break once a day to do something nice for myself that makes me feel less stressed. Studying for long periods of time can burn you out right before finals if you are not careful, so remember that you are human and allow yourself to take breaks when necessary because you are going to do better on your assignments or finals the more well rested you are. Some examples of things that I do that are nice to myself are using my sugar scrub in the shower, taking a dance break, and cleaning my space.
My name is Brass. I am an 18-year-old who is also a junior in college. I am a triple major in English, History, and Communications. I have a lot of hobbies such as knitting, roller skating, reading, writing, and paddle boarding. I am highly involved in the University of Hawaii at Manoa campus such as being the financial chair of EMA (English Majors association) and taking pictures for Ka Leos newspaper.