This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.
  1. Do not wear them straight out of the box. I did that because they were just so cute and I couldn’t wait. I promise you that I regretted that decision after I went to pride with my super cute boots on. I walked around for ten hours in them, which honestly was the worst decision I made at the time. I felt like I was going to pass out from the pain because it was so painful. Then when I got home I took off the boots to find that my heels were bleeding. I will have permanent scars on my feet from that day. 
  1. Get Wonder Balsam Shoe Protector from the Doc site. It really does help to open up the leather. It will help you to have less of a hard time getting them to be broken in. Put a thick layer over them and leave it on for 24 hours then put a blow dryer to it so that it can really seep into the leather. It will break them in if you do this for about a week per night. I promise you it is a much easier way of breaking them in than killing your feet by wearing them for 8 hours.
  1. Wear double socks with a pad on the back. I promise that when you do this it will help while wearing them because it just adds more cushion to your feet. It’s more cushion for the pushin, you know. It creates a barrier in between your foot and the leather which will prevent you from blistering and killing your feet. I do mean a pad for menstruating because it does honestly serve as a good barrier and it is a good item to use because most women already have it in their houses already.
  1. When wearing your Docs only wear them for short periods of time. This will save yourself a lot of time and pain if you only wear it for short amounts of time. When you first get your docs, taking them for a test drive before deciding to fully commit is so much better. When you own Doc Martens for the first time it is like getting into a new relationship. At first it is learning how to properly communicate between the two of you.
  1. Enjoy them. Now that you have gone through the first few weeks of hell you have earned the privilege of a long term relationship with these beautiful boots. Then you can have those boots for about 80 years because that is about how long those boots can last.
My name is Brass. I am an 18-year-old who is also a junior in college. I am a triple major in English, History, and Communications. I have a lot of hobbies such as knitting, roller skating, reading, writing, and paddle boarding. I am highly involved in the University of Hawaii at Manoa campus such as being the financial chair of EMA (English Majors association) and taking pictures for Ka Leos newspaper.