5 Netflix Shows That I’m Currently Raving About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

It’s only been a month since this spring semester has started and I already find myself needing a break in between my tight schedule and loads upon loads of assignments. So, of course, the only rational thing that I could do was to open up my Netflix account and head down the endless hole of binge-able shows on the website. 

It’s been an unhealthy problem, watching these shows that I’m about to share with you, but in all honesty, this is a pretty good lineup. 

Here’s 5 Netflix shows that I’m currently binge-watching and raving about. 

Caution: You might find yourself unable to stop watching once you’ve begun. Beware…self-control is the one thing that will be tested. But nevertheless, happy watching!

All of us are dead

Synopsis: A Korean drama about trapped students that must escape their high school which has become ground zero for a zombie virus outbreak.

If you’ve watched the highly acclaimed Netflix show, Squid Games, this might just be right up your alley. I don’t know why but Koreans just do zombies right, like name another show or movie with zombies like the ones in this drama. The actors in this drama are amazing and had me crying in almost all of the episodes. This is a must watch show if you want a little bit of everything: a thriller, romance, comedic relief, and an honest depiction of what would happen during a zombie apocalypse.

gilmore girls

Synopsis: Thirty-two year old single mom, Lorelai, lives with her teenage daughter Rory in the small town of Stars Hollow, Connecticut, with crazy neighbors and many ups and downs.

Now, this show isn’t new, compared to All of Us Are Dead, but this is a good show that I keep coming back to. I could rewatch my favorite seasons and just awe over the fact that Rory doesn’t marry Logan (sorry…spoiler alert for anyone who hasn’t watched this 2000s gem). It’s a show that though the episodes are long and shouldn’t be watched during a 15-30 minute study break, it’s one that I just can’t say no to. 

new girl

Synopsis: After a bad break-up, Jess, an offbeat young woman, moves into an apartment loft with three single men. And although they find her behavior very unusual, they start to appreciate, support, and join in on her craziness.

Ah, New Girl, another TV show classic that thankfully Netflix has to offer. Guiltily, I only started watching New Girl this year (please don’t come for me), but I love it. The humor and friendship of Jess and the guys is so wholesome, I can’t get enough of it. This show is a must watch when you need a dose of serotonin throughout the day!

cheer

Synopsis: A docu series that follows the highs and lows of Navarro College’s Competitive cheer squad as they work towards winning a national title. 

I just started watching this docu series, per request of my sister and I couldn’t be more invested. It’s what you would expect from a competitive cheer squad, but add some drama, spice, and everything nice, and you have Cheer. I can’t say too much about this show, but definitely recommend adding this to your queue if you want a new perspective on things.

our beloved summer

Synopsis: A coming-of-age Korean drama about ex-lovers who broke up with a promise to never meet again. As luck would have it, the documentary they filmed ten years ago in high school went viral and they were forced to face the cameras together again by their producer friend. The series depicts their complicated feelings and growth.

This romantic comedy is definitely a bit of a slow burn of relationships, but is totally worth the watch. It’s a good-feels type of story and makes you reminisce about your own child-like crushes and existential love life. Though this drama is a little slow in the beginning, in terms of the plot, hold on to this one because once you reach the end you’ll want to experience this story all over again.

I’m pretty sure that the handful of shows listed above will only take me until spring break, but I’m set to get through midterms with these picks. 

Don’t forget to give yourself breaks during study sessions or throughout the week. And what better way to relax and de-stress than with Netflix and your favorite snack!

Aubrey is a second-year student majoring in Public Health and pursuing a minor in Biology at UH Manoa. Being born and raised on the island of Maui, Hawaii, she aspires to help others, focusing on community outreach and underrepresented minority health. In her free time, she enjoys traveling, journaling, and going on picnics/watching films with family and friends.