“The Salubrious Senior”: Stress Busting Foods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

It’s Sunday night and you’re staring at a blank computer screen.  Did you drink too much at Snowball, blow off that paper for Monday, or forget about that problem set? Are you scrambling to finish your work, stressed about everything, and reaching for another energy drink to wash down your chip and salsa? STOP!  There’s a better way!  Let’s be honest, we aren’t exactly prudent when it comes to the weekend, but fighting off a hangover with pizza will only make things worse.  Here are some healthier foods to reduce stress and give your brain and immune system a boost.

1. Green Veggies and Spinach

Add a green salad to your plate during brunch or dinner. Green vegetables are vitamin powerhouses and replenish your body with valuable minerals. Spinach in particular (it’s delicious raw with feta, dried cranberries, and walnuts) offers a boost of magnesium—about 40% of your daily value needs—which is great for your heart and might reduce the production of the stress hormone cortisol.

2. Avocados, Nuts, and Fatty Fish

Healthy fats are always great in moderation. They’re comforting, and keep us full.  Avocados are full of potassium, which lowers blood pressure. Fatty fish like tuna or salmon are high in omega 3 fatty acids, which prevent surges in cortisol and may protect against heart disease.  Nuts provide vitamin E, an immune system boost, and vitamin B, which may make improve resilience to depression or anxiety.

3. Oranges and Vitamin C rich fruits

This one may be a no-brainer, but vitamin C rich fruits and vegetables boost your immune system, moderate your blood pressure, and reduce stress.  Some fruits other than oranges include grapefruit (a brunch staple!) and cranberries.

4. Complex (and simple) carbs

Bread, pasta, and sugar all stabilize blood sugar and boost serotonin, a hormone that calms the brain and reduces cortisol production.  But while you might be tempted to rush out to the Coop for a breadstick, keep in mind you should try to consume complex carbs. Whole grain toast, oatmeal, barley, quinoa, and whole-wheat pasta are all smart choices.  If you need that cookie for a boost, just keep in mind that moderation is the key to avoiding the inevitable sugar crash.

5. CHOCOLATE!!

As if we need another reason to eat chocolate! Not only does it taste amazing, but it’s full of antioxidants and has been scientifically proven to boost our mood (thank you captain obvious!). The trick with chocolate, as with carbs, is to pick healthy variations.  So don’t reach for that Snickers or the one-pound bag of M&Ms. One (or two) small squares of dark chocolate will give you a boost without unnecessary added sugar. You can feel virtuous and relaxed at the same time!

In this final stretch, it can be had to moderate eating habits.  But incorporating one or two of these foods into your diet each day is a simple solution. Other ways to beat the stress? Keep exercising, take time to relax, and drink lots of water. Plus, stay tuned for more Salubrious Senior posts. We’ll have some simple at-your-desk exercises, restaurant reviews for when you just have to get off campus, and suggestions for how you can recreate your favorite take out options for less money and less calories in the dining center! 

Charlotte Bax is a Junior at Haverford College and is majoring in History with double-minors in French and Film. She is originally from Santa Monica, California, but has also lived in San Francisco and currently resides in London with her family. Charlotte enjoys cooking, watching movies, going to sports games in Philadelphia. In addition, she enjoys traveling, surfing with her dog Cassie, and skiing during the winter in Solitude, Utah. After college, Charlotte hopes to start her own line of women's sports apparel.