Recent Haverford Graduate Teaching for America

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

A recent Haverford graduate, Alison is now doing the Teach for America program in Baltimore. Teach For America is an organization that places young leaders in low- income classrooms throughout the country. Alison’s quirky personality, as well as dedication to the community made her quite a large presence during her time at Haverford.

Name: Alison Crawford
Class of:2011
Major:English, Minor in Education
Current City:Baltimore, MD
How were you involved at Haverford?
I played on the softball team, lived in every freshman dorm thanks to the customs program (was a CP, Customs Committee member, UCA), was a tour guide/host/senior interviewer in Admissions, and last but definitely not least, I worked in the GIAC with Mr.Walts himself. I also was able to do a Summer internship in northern Ghana thanks to the CPGC.
Favorite Haverford memory:
Hmmm this is tough.  I have a lot of great memories of Customs Week, especially getting ready for Tribal Scream.  Every year I would tell my freshmen that I had gone in the pond my freshman year, and only after they jumped in would I confess that I never had.  Finally, my senior year, I jumped in and even though I swallowed a lot of pond water it was very exhilarating. 
How did you get involved with Teach for America?  
I found out about TFA my senior year in high school, so it had been on my radar for a while.  Taking courses at Haverford solidified for me my passion for education, and through my coursework I had the opportunity to work in some schools in West Philadelphia, and also do a CPGC sponsored internship working with Titagya Schools in Ghana.  The main reason I was drawn to TFA was because I felt they would place me where I wanted to be, that is, an under-served school district.  I knew that it would be difficult, but every day I feel very rewarded and I am so happy I ended up in Baltimore.  Maryland is ranked number 1 in the country for education, but the Baltimore City School District is ranked very low in graduation rates and test scores.  This juxtaposition epitomizes the pervasive educational inequities in our country and I think Baltimore is a great place to be with a lot of energy for change. 
What is the best part about being a teacher?  
Ah another hard question!  I think before I really began teaching I envisioned that it would be like “Freedom Writers” and within a few quick montages my students would be transformed.  Instead, I’ve found that it really is a challenge everyday, it is not always glamorous, but it is so great to know that my students look forward to my class, come in with a sense of enthusiasm and excitement, and know that they have learned a lot already this year.  I think that in the classroom you really can see the progress and the difference that your efforts are making, and even if it is just in your one classroom it does make an impact on those 95 students you see each day.
What do you see yourself doing after Teach for America?  
I definitely think that I will stay in the world of Education.  I’m pursuing a Masters in Special Education right now, and I really enjoy the additional role I play as a Special Educator and case manager.  I could see myself moving into a more specialized field related to special education and advocacy, and while I don’t really know how that will play out. I definitely want to be working with students every day!
Funniest moment in the classroom:
Well there have been many.  I always joke with my students about my “dance moves” and surprise them with my knowledge of popular music (I called one student “Tyler the Creator” once and he almost fell out of his chair he was so surprised) and I think this is one of the ways that I’ve connected with them.  I made a deal with my 10th period class that on the day they had perfect attendance and everyone completed their warm-up within 5 minutes that I would do the “Dougie.” It took a few weeks but finally before break they accomplished that goal and I dougied for them.  Some of them were laughing so hard they cried, but it was a great moment. 

Lauren Gill is in her junior year at Haverford College, majoring in Religion with a concentration in Peace, Justice, and Human Rights. She is from Lewes, Delaware and spent her fall semester abroad in Australia at the University of Melbourne. Lauren is a regular contributor to her college's newspaper, the Bi-College news, writing music and concert reviews. Besides her love for all things music, she also enjoys traveling, reality television, getting her fitness on, and of course, tweeting.