Mr. Straight-Shooter (March Madness Edition): How to Balance Sexy with Sporty

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

With March Madness in full swing, we have been wondering what guys really think about sporty vs. girly girls? This week Mr. Straight Shooter has your answers to what some guys think about girls, sports, and the delicate balance of the two.

Are you turned-off by girls who are really into sports?
No. I am more turned off by a complete lack of interest in sports. Like, a girl thinking that she is above sports with a “princess-esque” complex is a really big turn-off. But, a girl can show an over interest in sports if she tries too hard to seem like she knows what she is talking about.

There are two different ways to think about it. If she is trying way too hard to seem knowledgeable than that is a big turn-off. But if she does not seem interested at all than that is also a turn-off.

How can girls meet these high standards?
I would say that having just general knowledge is the best. If you have your own favorite team or opinion than that is the perfect balance. But, if you just agree with the guys interest then that isn’t attractive.

Say she knows more than you…
It is the best if you generally know and can defend yourself as to why you like a team and do not simply agree with your guy. But, if it is to the point that she is more knowledgeable and into sports than you are then it is off-putting because she loses her “feminine qualities” and it feels like you are talking to another bro.

What are your favorite games to take a girl to?
I would say baseball is the best because it is a better “dating atmosphere” and more conversational. Whereas, other sports like hockey and basketball are more for going to with a guy friend. I can imagine basketball would be a close second though, because it is less of an intense game atmosphere.

What is your idea of the perfect sport-date outfit?
When a girl can wear a jersey or a t-shirt of the team because it shows that she is actually interested in the game and is not just trying to look her cutest. I think it is really cool too when a girl can pull off a hat of the team. If it’s a date revolved around sports I think it is sexier when a girl can wear clothes that pertain to the game rather than just looking like a hot date.

In terms of stadium food, what would be a big turn-off for your date to order?
Anything that can get sloppy quickly is a big turn-off. There is a lot of stadium food, like nachos, that can drip that isn’t good because girls can’t eat it cleanly or attractively. But at the same time, guys don’t want to take a girl to a game and have her eat like a bird. It is attractive when a girl can handle having food that pertains to the atmosphere of the game, like a hot dog or beer (if you are 21 of course). If we are going to take you to a baseball game, don’t eat a wrap or something.It’s sexier when a girl is like “I want a hot dog”, or “lets split a funnel cake.” Be aware of stuff that can drip on your outfit.

How much is too much cheering?
If you are more into the game than the guy is than that’s a problem. I’m saying reckless heckling and jeering. Guys definitely notice when girls are vacant at the date and look like they have zero interest in what’s going on because it feels like we are wasting your time and it puts on the pressure. Some cheering is very encouraged even if it is for the opposing team because that can be playful banter. But, if you are deliberately doing it to be flirtatious guys can notice that. We want you to be having a good time.

When you are watching a big basketball game and are really into it, what is the worst thing a girl can do?
The worst thing would be her trying to watch something and guilt-trip you into watching something else. Like guilting them into watching what they want right in the middle of the big game. Sports sometimes is the outlet for a guy to be a guy, so if you are talking too much about other things and trying to deflect his attention from the game to you than that is annoying. But if you can enjoy it with him and take some interest than that can be a really sexy thing. The worst thing is making a guy feel guilty because sports are his “guy pleasure.” Don’t make it seem like he is choosing between sports and you.

Is it intimidating if a girl is really good at a sport?
I think it is insanely attractive if a girl is really good at a sport. But I’d say that varies with guys. But if she is really good at tennis or some sweet individual sport then that is really cool.

If she isn’t into sports at all, is that a deal-breaker? Say she hates them and has no knowledge of any sport, could you put that aside to be with her?
(long pause)…. I would say some general interest in some sport is key because I do not think that if she didn’t like any sport at all that I would be attracted to her in the first place. There is a certain level of competitiveness and interest in a hobby that guys find attractive. Passion and investment in sports is very attractive. Sports are something that guys and girls can mutually show interest and agree on. It is a mutual-sex hobby and a way of having similar interests. So, no sports no go. But we are talking zero percent interest, not even into something obscure like sailing. If she has passion in some sport, no matter how obscure, I would find some way to connect with her about it. A certain level of competitiveness is a must have quality.

Charlotte Bax is a Junior at Haverford College and is majoring in History with double-minors in French and Film. She is originally from Santa Monica, California, but has also lived in San Francisco and currently resides in London with her family. Charlotte enjoys cooking, watching movies, going to sports games in Philadelphia. In addition, she enjoys traveling, surfing with her dog Cassie, and skiing during the winter in Solitude, Utah. After college, Charlotte hopes to start her own line of women's sports apparel.