Mr. Straight-Shooter: A Guy’s Take on Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

With only a few days left to get your costumes together, we decided to bring you the guy’s perspective on outfits, trick-or-treating, and Halloween traditions. Here is what Mr. Straight-Shooter had to say about the mystery of the sexy costume tradition and how guys really think about the holiday…

“The most interesting point to raise about costumes is not if girls think that guys enjoy the “sexiness” of the holiday, because in many ways guy’s opinions are very mixed. Guys like the fact that girls use Halloween as a way of letting loose with costumes and that they generally get more excited about Halloween dances etc..
Girls really get into it and so the holiday festivities are more fun.” 

The “sexy costume” debate:

“The trend of taking everyday things and making the racy version, like a “sexy sailor,” is overrated. Personally I think it is cooler if a girl can show originality and wit in her costume choice, but sure, for the average guy Halloween is the time for more reserved girls to get a little wild and a lot guys like that.

I don’t really view Halloween as a sexy holiday. Girls might use it to show off in a sexy outfit, but guys don’t tend to see it that way. I don’t know where the idea of dressing up in a risqué way came from because if you think about it the spirit of the holiday is to be scary and spooky. When did it turn into “wear less clothing” or just be a sexy cat.”

Why do you think there is such a big emphasis on what girls wear and less so on guy’s costumes?

“I think girls and guys take the holiday very differently. Girls are more enthusiastic about the spirit of Halloween of being someone different in order to let loose through changing your identity. I feel like girls care more about what they wear because they might like that aspect of taking on a new identity. Guys take the holiday as more of a joke and go for something funny or outrageous. I think that girls have that pressure of comparing themselves (and their costumes) to their friends and guys tend to make a bigger joke out of it. From a guy’s perspective, I think girls take Halloween more as transforming into something that you’re not. For guys, that fantasy aspect doesn’t really apply to their costume choices.” 

Top Tips:

1. Go for originality first before falling back on the typical racy costumes. Guys generally appreciate a balance between the two rather than too extreme either direction.

2. Some of the best costumes are the ones that are witty and can make a trendy joke. For example, since it is around the election this year a good costume might be a political pun. Showing up as a “binder full of women” or big bird shows that you are up to date with current issues but can also be playful.

3. Group costumes or pairs are always a good choice. They tend to be really funny and a bit more original. Also, it is hilarious to see individuals from the group at different points in the night and try to guess who they are paired with.

4. A girl getting excited for trick-or-treating is definitely NOT a turn off! It is a great thing to do with a guy because it shows that you are not “too cool for school”. Plus, it never hurts to get hyped up on some candy for one night!

Charlotte Bax is a Junior at Haverford College and is majoring in History with double-minors in French and Film. She is originally from Santa Monica, California, but has also lived in San Francisco and currently resides in London with her family. Charlotte enjoys cooking, watching movies, going to sports games in Philadelphia. In addition, she enjoys traveling, surfing with her dog Cassie, and skiing during the winter in Solitude, Utah. After college, Charlotte hopes to start her own line of women's sports apparel.