HC Haverford Hits: Week 2

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

Haverfordians, it’s that time of the week again! With so much awesome new music this week it was difficult to narrow it down, but I’ve got everything from the Springsteen-esque sound of the Gaslight Anthem to a ridiculously catchy remix of “We Are Young.” You know the deal, turn it up and enjoy!

Passion Pit- I’ll Be Alright
Delectable pop-electro outfit Passion Pit’s latest, Gossamer, dropped today and this is definitely one of the strongest tracks from it. You may have already heard it as their newest single, but if you haven’t make sure you give it, and the rest of the album a listen!

Madeon- Finale
This epic from the 18 year old french phenom, featuring vocals from Walk the Moon’s, Nicholas Petricca, was officially released a few days ago and for sure will be one of the most inescapable tracks of the summer. This definitely isn’t the last you’ll be hearing from Madeon!

Chance the Rapper- Hey Ma
If you’re looking for some fresh new hip-hop, look no further than Chicago’s up and coming, Chance the Rapper. “Hey Ma,” off of his mixtape, #10Day, showcases Chance’s laid-back flow and soulful beats. The video is also a gem in itself, so give it a view!

The Gaslight Anthem- 45
New Jersey’s, The Gaslight Anthem, released its newest LP, Handwritten, today. “45” is its first single, and leaves no question as to why the rockers are frequently compared to Bruce Springsteen. The Gaslight Anthem are continuously putting out solid releases, and will surely remain one of alternative rock’s most notable bands.

Hot Chip- Look At Where We Are (Major Lazer Remix)
Major Lazer’s Diplo and Switch (remember when they shut it down at Haverfest 2010?!) flip Hot Chip’s “Look at Where We Are,” into a summer essential. I don’t think I should have to anymore about this, just listen to it, bet you can’t just do it once!

GUILTY PLEASURE
Fun.- We Are Young (Alvin Risk Remix pt. II)

Believe me, I am as sick of “We Are Young” as the next person. However, I’m not going to lie, I can’t stop putting this remix on repeat. Alvin Risk breathes whole new life into the Fun. track and I wouldn’t be surprised if this kept it alive for another few months. This remix is perfection and a definite must for any party playlist, so be on the lookout for the download and hopefully I’ll be hearing this one around Haverford this fall!

Lauren Gill is in her junior year at Haverford College, majoring in Religion with a concentration in Peace, Justice, and Human Rights. She is from Lewes, Delaware and spent her fall semester abroad in Australia at the University of Melbourne. Lauren is a regular contributor to her college's newspaper, the Bi-College news, writing music and concert reviews. Besides her love for all things music, she also enjoys traveling, reality television, getting her fitness on, and of course, tweeting.