Easy Exercises for Finals (Without Leaving your Desk!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Haverford chapter.

We’re finally in the home stretch, but before we can reach that ever-elusive Christmas break, we have to fight our way through all those final papers, exams, and presentations.  And the hours hunched over your desk in your room or the library are not doing you any favors. Sitting for hours on end causes back pain, headaches, listlessness, and makes you less productive. However, since standing while you read might be somewhat inconvenient here are some quick little exercises you can do at or near your desk, which will keep you (relatively) active during the day, despite that last minute assignment.

Every time you need a typing break, stand up and do either a minute of jumping jacks, a minute of stimulated jump rope (just jump in place and move your arms in small circles at your side, like you’re jumping rope), or talk a quick walk or jog around your dorm.  If you want to get some strength training in, do squats, lunges, or pushups during this time. Do as many as you can but aim for at least 2 sets of 15. If you have to do modified pushups, that’s okay too. Try to take at least three or four mini-breaks an hour.  It’ll break up up your work so it doesn’t seem as terrible, and it will keep your energy up much more than surfing Pinterest will.

You can actually use your desk and some items in your room to get in some strength training.  Try doing desk pushups: stand with your hands on your desk and lean your chest in, keeping your back and legs straight. Then push back out to start.  If you have a rolling chair and want to stretch and strengthen your back and biceps, place your hands on your desk and hold on, push the chair back until your head is between your arms and looking at the floor, then use your arms to slowly pull yourself back in.  Finally, you can use water bottles or elastic bands to do some arm exercises like bicep curls or triceps presses.  There are lots of great websites with some more ideas for these kinds of exercises.

If taking a minute away from your work seems too risky, you can still work your butt, legs, and abs while sitting and typing away.  Repeatedly tighten your butt muscles for a minute at a time, aiming for at 20 minutes by the time you’re done working.  You can also repeatedly tighten and release your abs, or use them to lift your legs slightly off the ground, back pressed into the chair, while you’re typing. 

Sometimes the best thing to do when the work seems too overwhelming is to go for a short workout at the gym.  But if you really can’t afford to spend that time, these exercises will keep your muscles toned and ready to go, make you feel more energized and productive, and help you avoid any studying-related health problems.  So keep calm, stay healthy, and good luck with finals

Charlotte Bax is a Junior at Haverford College and is majoring in History with double-minors in French and Film. She is originally from Santa Monica, California, but has also lived in San Francisco and currently resides in London with her family. Charlotte enjoys cooking, watching movies, going to sports games in Philadelphia. In addition, she enjoys traveling, surfing with her dog Cassie, and skiing during the winter in Solitude, Utah. After college, Charlotte hopes to start her own line of women's sports apparel.