This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

I first want to preface this article with a proverb to live by:

There are two types of hipster coffee– the first tastes as if it was dug up from the earth this morning, brewed, and passed off as new wave coffee (re: actual dirt) and the second tastes as if Cupid himself, that adorable little cherub, descended from the heavens and handed it to you–hot and steaming with delight. There is no in between.

Find the second one.

———–

While some of you may be deciding to spend this winter in your dorms drinking instant coffee and lying to yourselves that it’s actually decent, I, on the other hand, am going to take my artfully orchestrated free time and spend it usefully aka doing nothing productive aka on the hunt for this bliss of caffeinated heaven in a cup.

You see, whilst procrastinating anything and everything productive or work related, I have wholly and enthusiastically succumbed to my coffee addiction/obsession/one true love. I know, I know, I didn’t think the love story could continue any further either, and yet…. here I am: recklessly in love with caffeine. So much so that my bank account, sleep schedule, and mother are v concerned. No fear here though, because I have the support of the Starbucks staff to help me through these trying times. (#starbae, amirite?)

Where I may not enjoy doing work, I do love to search out places with which to do work. That, alongside my coffee snobbery, makes me your ~~one and only source into the scandalous lives of hipster coffee’s elite~~. And by “hipster coffee”  I of course mean overpriced and questionably “organic” drip coffees or espresso artforms served by tatted baristas with daring haircuts that fit seemingly with the shop atmosphere. We all know the hipster coffee shop atmosphere—the chalkboard menus, the eclectic furniture of all shapes and sizes, and the surplus of wooden detail and tarnished metals lightly accented by antique light bulbs. The list goes on… books, beanies, and bicycles galore! And more! Mustaches, man-buns, misfits, and music! Cool kids… cold brews…Guys, what’s not to love!?!?

For an escape of the square or a studious coffee date with your laptop, look no further. Here’s my list of the best hipster coffee shops in the Cambridge/Boston area.

1.     1369 Coffee House—Central Square; Inman Square

Their drinks menu is quite extensive and tasty if you ask me. It has everything you want from legit coffee beverages to frufru fancy ‘specialty’ drinks, and even frozen drinks—because I want my coffee in milkshake form, please and thank you. As far as atmosphere goes, 1369 puts a lot of emphasis on community. Whoo! No judgy eyes or what-are-you-still-doing-here stares while you sip your third cup of coffee and cry over your thesis and/or ER reading.

2.     Diesel Cafe—Davis Square

Is “Edgy” your middle name? Do you enjoy cushy diner-style booths and the occasion pool-break during your work sesh? Then Diesel, my friend, is the place for you. Complete with glass coffee cups, bakery items a-plenty, and a biker-theme, Diesel is a great place to go to partially forget that you’re a nerdy Harvard kid and take a ride on the wild side while cramming for that midterm. Oh you rebel, you…

3.     Refuge Cafe—Allston

So hip, so edgy. I go here just for the atmosphere and stay for the coffee and ThE bREakFasT SanDWIchEs!! Definitely the place to hit when you have reached your limit with HUDS. #WordUp to yummy breakfast foods and big, long tables with which to spread out all your study materials. Just–word to the wise– try to avoid getting avocado on your papers, alright?

4.     Render Coffee—Boston

Dude, their logo is an anvil and their pour-overs are crack. What more do I need to say?

5.     Wired Puppy—Boston

Wired puppy. Those words, that visual–so amped, so hyped– that’s the caffeine spirit!! With a location on Newbury street, this shop is perfectly located for you to snag a stool with a window view and watch all the happy, pretty people walk by while you work. Dreamy, right? Oh well, at least the coffee is bomb.

6.     Blue State Coffee—BU

These people know college students. They understand what we want: a cup of dreams and success with extra foam and a double-shot, please. Not too far from our campus, just near BU, you can grab a bitchin’ beverage and maybe even branch out of the Harvard dating pool. #liquidcourage

7.     Pavement Coffeehouse—Boston

This place has mastered ambiance. Within walls lined with books and brick is where every hipster or hipster-aspiring young adult wants to drink their coffee. They did it right. All of it. They are it.

8.     Thinking Cup—Boston

Smooth espresso, chill interior, and ~wow~ their food. I would describe this place as artisanal, but don’t just take it from me–the Thinking Cup is titled a Coffee Bar–so that’s how you know how hipster and impressive it really is. Bring a novel or small book so you can maximize the amount of space on your table for drinks and snacks. You’ll want a sandwich…and a pastry….and chia seed pudding….and this, that, and the other thing!!

When you do try out these shops, just don’t forget to be really pretentious and picky when you order your coffee… just so you fit in with the crowd. Here’s how.

harvard contributor