Take a Break from the D-Hall with out Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

Back from Spring Break and already sick of the d-hall? Gotta love those Marshmallow mateys, but a girl can only take so much Red Spice Chicken before the stomach starts demanding real food. If you haven’t figured it out already- Cambridge is packed with restaurants, all delicious in their own right, but the price tag that comes with eating out in Harvard Square is often less than satisfying. However, that doesn’t mean getting a tasty meal every once in a while has to drain your summer savings (or Daddy’s credit card). If you know where to look, there are gold mines of great deals just waiting for you. So put aside your P-set for a just a sec and take a crash course in Cash Preservation:

GET A DEAL
I’m a coupon site groupie. Groupon, Social Living, Gilt Group- You name it, I am probably on it. These sites are all the rage right now, but navigating them can seem more of a challenge than they’re worth. So here’s the skinny:
 1. Groupon- definitely the most popular, and one of the original , but probably not my favorite. Individual businesses actually have to pay Groupon for their services, which puts small businesses at a disadvantage. That’s why you won’t come across Groupons for some of my local faves like Berryline, Felipes, or Flour Bakery.
 2. DealQuad- brought to you by our own Harvard Crimson, so very relevant. Some past deals have included a $5 Starbucks card for 2 dolla (get a fru-fru latte for what its actually worth) and 50% off at Cafe Pamplona (such a cute place for a date on a sunny day!)
 3. SCVNGR- pronounced “scavenger.” Makes pinching pennies an adventure- literally! Download this app on your I-Phone and you collect points by “checking in” at each joint, taking a picture of yourself there, or writing a funny poem. You can then use your points for next time- like getting a free “super-sizing” or hot fudge at Toscanini’s.
  4. LevelUp- this is a new one, but so far I am big fan. Each time you purchase a deal, you gain access to an even better deal at the same place. And they’re for really good places too! I actually just bought two of these recently: one for or half off at Boloco and 3 for the price of 1 at KickAss Cupcakes. Nom Nom.

CHEAP EATS
Dinner for under $10? Yes you can!
1. CLOVER. If you haven’t been here, you’re missing out. Sure it’s a little hippy dippy trippy go-green, vegetarian and such, but their pita-style sandwiches are unique, healthy!, and will only put you out five bucks. A sandwich is all about the quality of the ingredients and these guys don’t skimp.
2. BORDER. Even as born-and-raised Tex-Mex conousiour, I’ll allow Border to pass. Portions are large (go splitsies with a friend!) and inexpensive, the margaritas are dirt cheap and downright delicious, and who’s gonna argue with free chips and salsa? A great place for big groups and celebrations.
3. OGGI- They’ve got their own version of Monday night madness- get a whole pizza for just $5! You’ll be thankful you ate that pizza if you end up at Fire and Ice later…

DON’T BE OUT OF THE LOOP
1. I never seem to be able to keep up with who’s dating/hooked-up with/fighting with whom, but I do always know where the free food is. I must admit that my e-mail inbox is a constant nightmare, but by joining the e-mail lists of places like B-Good and JP Licks, you always know when they have specials running. Every month I get my “Lix Fix,” and B-Good sporadically sends out invitations to their “family members” to try their new chili (for free!) or get a complimentary milkshake with your burger. If nothing else, it makes me feel loved.
2. There are always events going on around campus- and they often include food. I am living proof that the “free food” method of advertisement is a sure winner to get people to come to meetings and symposiums that I never would otherwise.
3. Also, take advantage of opportunities to get out of the Harvard bubble. Obviously Restaurant Week is the most wonderful time of the year. You definitely don’t want miss out on the opportunity to eat a full on 3 course meal at some of Boston’s finest establishments for just $30!

RACK UP POINTS
Finally, make your visit count for something! Each time I treat myself to scoop of Oreo Cakebatter, I see it as adding more points on my cow-card, rather than pounds to my stomach. And you can’t deny the satisfaction that comes with handing over your fully stamped Berryline card and NOT PAYING for that medium one topping froyo. Even Quincy Grille, so near and dear to my heart, has a “Frequent Fryer” card. Oh if only Noch’s would jump on this bandwagon :)

If you have any more great saving tips for dining out, leave a comment!

Madeleine Frank is a sophomore at Harvard University. She is from Arlington, Virginia, and studies English with a secondary in psychology. In addition to being Harvard's HC Campus Correspondent, Madeleine runs Make it Happen Magazine for Harvard University Women in Business and serves as editor for her chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta. In her free time she enjoys baking (especially vegan desserts) and dancing to everything from Frank Sinatra to Sean Paul. Madeleine hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism in New York, and she spent last summer working as an Assistant Digital Producer at Washington Life Magazine in D.C.