Samantha Meier, Class of 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

This week we are profiling Samantha Alexis Meier, class of 2012, Sociology concentrator. As a Co-President of Sexual Health Education and Advocacy throughout Harvard College (SHEATH), Meier is busy around campus this week as she prepares for Harvard’s first ever Sex Week.

1. Tell us a little bit more about yourself.
I’m from Flagstaff, Arizona, a town best known for its skiing, yoga studios, and Ponderosa pine trees. I’m an avid comix fan and obsessed with Feminist Hulk. I love giving hugs.

2. What are some activities you are involved in?
Sexual Health Education and Advocacy throughout Harvard College (SHEATH), Peer Contraceptive Counselors (PCC), Stressbusters, Student Mental Health Liaisons (SMHL).

3. What are your plans this summer?
Good question – hopefully traveling to San Francisco to continue my thesis research on the underground comix movement of the late 1960s which took place in the Bay Area.

4. What are you most excited about during Sex Week?
As a graduating senior, I should probably say the Career Fair, but I think personally I’m most intrigued by the events about sexuality and religion and asexuality.

5. What made you decide to start Sex Week? ?
Abby and I came up with the idea when we were roommates over Commencement Week last year, right at the beginning of the summer. Because of our involvement in PCC, we both knew that people at Harvard were interested in talking about love, sex, dating, and relationships, but that often the events being held to address these kinds of topics weren’t as well-attended as they might be, or didn’t get as widely publicized as one would hope. We decided to create Sex Week as a platform upon which students and student groups could carry out conversations they were already having.

6. What is your dream job?
Another good question. Fantasy jobs probably include: member of Le Tigre or five-star restaurant critic. On the more practical side, I’d love to have some career that combines my interests in creative expression, oral history and narrative collection,and activism. I have no idea what that would look like.

7. What has been your most rewarding moment at Harvard this year?
It was more of a process than a moment, but doing the interview research for my thesis. I wrote about some of the first women in America to draw comic books, and talked to many of them over the phone. They were amazing, funny, strong, intelligent, inspiring women. It was truly remarkable to get to talk to so many of my heroines.

Megan Prasad is a freshman at Harvard University. She is unsure of what she will be concentrating in but is trying to figure it out! She is from Edmond, Oklahoma, and is excited to be a part of the Her Campus team. In her free time, Prasad enjoys reading Harry Potter, watching How I Met Your Mother, and dancing to Beyonce.