How To Avoid Internship Faux Pas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

For those of you in internships this summer, I’m sure you’re figuring out the ropes as you go. I myself have never done work in a professional office and there were definitely some things I didn’t know about. Here are some tips I discovered in my first week on the job, which I hope will save someone from a potential internship faux pas:

Know something about your directors
It’s important to be knowledgeable about the company you’re working for, those in charge, and whomever you are working under. Know the company’s mission statement, fundamental objectives, and history. You can also do some research to find out what accomplishments your boss has achieved in the past. This serves you well not only in recognizing the higher-ups and knowing how to introduce yourself, but also during casual conversation as you get to now them better. It’s always good to have some background for conversation starters and to keep you on your toes during meetings.

Don’t Reply All
Everyone makes the mistake of reply all” once in a while but be extra careful not to make it at the office. It’s likely your mentor probably gets hundreds of emails a day and they definitely don’t have time to read where and when you’re heading for lunch. Keep track of your recipients.
No Wet Shoes
You’re going to have some rainy days this summer. Nobody likes wet shoeprints all over the floor of the clean office! I didn’t find my rain boots particularly comfortable for the summertime, especially since I’m working somewhere that frequently sees 100 degree days! Solution? Jellys! If you think they’re only for little girls, think again. Steve Madden and Marc Jacobs both have collections out this summer and they are oh so comfortable. Then when you get to the office, throw them in a bag and put on your leather sandals.

Gum Chewers Beware
Definitely spit out your gum before meetings. Even if you think you can chew quietly, chances are, you’re bothering the guy next to you. Same goes for the sniffles. Use a tissue, especially when the office is quite and everyone can hear a pin drop.

Keep Dress Tasteful, No Matter the Temp
Even as the thermometer reaches up into the hundreds, bra straps and tan lines should never be out to play while at work. Cold showers after work make up for wearing a sweater over a fun tank top during the day and most offices are air-conditioned anyways, so the walk to work isn’t a reason to wear something skimpy.

Those are some of the issues I ran into, and I certainly won’t make the same mistakes twice. If you have any other ideas or internship faux pas, please leave a comment!

Madeleine Frank is a sophomore at Harvard University. She is from Arlington, Virginia, and studies English with a secondary in psychology. In addition to being Harvard's HC Campus Correspondent, Madeleine runs Make it Happen Magazine for Harvard University Women in Business and serves as editor for her chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta. In her free time she enjoys baking (especially vegan desserts) and dancing to everything from Frank Sinatra to Sean Paul. Madeleine hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism in New York, and she spent last summer working as an Assistant Digital Producer at Washington Life Magazine in D.C.