lemon sugar moisturizer kit?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
lemon sugar moisturizer kit?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Amazon
Style > Beauty

DIY Body Scrubs!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Harvard chapter.

The past few weeks in quarantine have forced me to find new ways to take care of myself. I was constantly stressed out, I wasn’t taking care of my skin, and I ate horribly. Pretty soon, my whole body started breaking out. So last week, I decided to start making my own body scrubs! The process of making them is so fun and so satisfying, and the oils and scrubs make my skin feel so moisturized and refreshed. Since starting to use them, I already feel so much better! Best of all, I didn’t have to spend any extra money since all the ingredients were already in my kitchen! Here are the “recipes” and the benefits of each scrub that I made:

Coffee Coconut Oil Body Scrub:

Chocolate Chips
Christin Urso / Spoon

The exfoliating texture of coffee grounds makes it the perfect ingredient for DIY body scrubs. Gently rubbing the scrub will remove your dead skin cells, which will rejuvenate your skin and improve circulation, leaving you with glowing and smooth skin! 

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup finely ground coffee (super coarse coffee grounds can be too harsh on your skin)
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Instructions:

1. Mix together the ground coffee and brown sugar in a container of your choice (I used an old jar).

2. Add the melted coconut oil and vanilla extract into the coffee mixture.

3. Keep mixing until ingredients are well combined and relatively smooth.

To Use:

Gently rub the scrub over the skin and leave on for a few minutes. Then wash it off thoroughly! I like to do this in the shower because otherwise, the coffee grounds end up making a mess on the floor. 

Oat, Coconut Oil, and Honey Scrub:

Honey
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

This scrub is perfect for sensitive or dry skin. The ingredients are incredibly soothing and moisturizing. The honey acts as an emollient, which will soften your skin.

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup rolled oats
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil
  • 2 tablespoons honey

Instructions:

• Lightly blend the oats in a food processor.
  • Mix in coconut oil and honey with the oats in a bowl.
  • Let the mixture sit for five minutes to allow the oats to absorb some of the oil and honey.
  • Check the consistency of your mixture and add more oil or honey if the consistency appears to be too rough. You want to be able to easily smooth the mixture over your skin.

To Use:

Gently smooth the scrub over your skin and let it sit for a few minutes before rinsing thoroughly!

I am a senior at Harvard College studying Applied Mathematics with a specialization in Economics, and I am planning on getting a language citation in Spanish. I am currently a co-president and campus correspondent of Harvard's chapter of Her Campus! I am also a committee chair of a student organization that works with University Health Services called HealthPALs (Peer Advisors and Liaisons). Additionally, I am a member and co-director of service in OAASIS (Organization of Asian American Sisters in Service). Apart from that, I spend a lot of my time as a Learning Lab Undergraduate Fellow at the Harvard Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning. I am also the co-founder of a project at the Office of Diversity of Inclusion at Harvard. I am super passionate about math, health, and higher education! In my free time I love to work out, experiment with makeup and fashion, visit museums, and try new foods!